Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
If you set up a planted tank or an NPT properly, you shouldn't be getting ANY readings of anything from day one that you get your fish/inverts. That's the point of the plants. And as far as water changes, you shouldn't have to do that nearly as much as a tank without plants, again it's the point of the plants to clean and act as a buffer against any levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
What you say is true.
However,depending on size of tank,number's of fishes,amount of food offered,content of soil used,and number of healthy plant's or lack thereof,,differing result's are possible to probable.
Not all folk's are able to follow method's written ,or otherwise, for various reason's.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
What you say is true.
However,depending on size of tank,number's of fishes,amount of food offered,content of soil used,and number of healthy plant's or lack thereof,,differing result's are possible to probable.
Not all folk's are able to follow method's written ,or otherwise, for various reason's.
Oh yes, of course sorry, I was trying to get at if the person did follow step by step, but you are correct.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #13 
Stone

Well we have done 2 tanks with miriclegrow soils, my advise would be to test the water often once a day maybe every 12 hours the ammonia spiked pretty rapidly for the first week, test the ph often as well if you use playsand, playsand is known to make ph go up, and Make sure you have pleanty of fast growing stems to soak up ammonia, where I think we messed up a bit was not having enough floaters, floats will get their "food" directly from the water colum, remember most things like water sprite and so on can just be floated hornswort as well you can get dwarf water lettuce. red root floating and so on, we did not have a disaster or did we lose any fish, I think it was more stressful on us vs the fish, but yeah I can't stress testing your water often....... and of course I would never even think about adding delicate fish or shrimp of anykind while doing this
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #14 
VJM

I am going to throw in a slightly different take on this. Adding fish immediately only works if your plants are growing immediately. For most of us, that isn't true. I don't set up tanks using 100% plants from my other tanks, I have to buy some to all of them. That means shipping, adjusting to new water parameters, me being newbish and having to figure out how to get each plant to grow, etc.

What that translates to is a lag time between setting the tank up, and having a healthy, growing NPT. If I add fish before that, I am fish in cycling (to be avoided at all costs, IMO).

I wish I did have enough tanks, and extra plants, to just start tanks from my stock.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #15 
jadaBlu

You have a point about buying the plants. Either way I have fish in quarantine and they won't go in immediately. The tank will have at least a few weeks if not longer. I found it incredible that you could just get started which I why posted.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #16 
Deanna01

I didn't use any plants from existing tanks and set my tanks up immediately. I didn't have any issues. Given the right conditions, the plants should begin growing immediately no matter where you got them from.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #17 
itsme

I posted about this on the first page, but I did not have any growing plants and this was my first NPT. I got plants from Petco/Petsmart and planted them and most of them did not have roots, just stems. I do not have a filter, just a heater and it is a 10g tank. I only waited a day because I set it up late and wanted to add my RCS and Ghost shrimp and only had 4 turbo snails.
I put my baby betta in there because I wanted it to have the whole tank to his self. That was on 5/3 and everyone is doing fine and the baby betta is growing. In the beginning I poked the soil to release bubbles but after I saw plants growing I stopped and now I get bubbles or burps fron the soil about once a day.

To me its like if I set up tank with plants and water with a heater, no filter, I would put my Betta in there without hesitation, the only difference is this one has dirt and that you need the snails to burrow in the dirt and shrimp to complete the enclosed system with your Betta.
itsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #18 
jadaBlu

The book says you can get away with not having burrowing snails if you are willing to burp the soil yourself daily with chop sticks I will probably go for the whole system though.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #19 
itsme

I have not read the book, I just went by the information posted from OLd Fish Lady that said common snails are important for the natural systems-since they complete the little ecosystem we are creating. While the trumpets snails can help aerate the soil to prevent anaerobic issues. The common snails also help to rid the tank of debris-dead/dieing plant matter/organics, provide ferts for the plants...etc

I see why a lot of people don't want snails, besides the soil, I wanted snails because OFL said "watch your snails and if they all start crawling to the top.. its time to make a big water change"l. Since I was new to NPT tanks I was going by her advice and I did watch for snails going to the top and my shrimp surviving the first day. My soil shifted and got too high in the front of my tank and I have no idea why this happened but it didn't seem to affect anything.
itsme is offline   Reply With Quote