Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #1 
BeansJDS

Help Spiderman-Fin Rot/Advanced Fin Rot?

Hello Betta Experts, I need some help with our HM Spiderman's fin rot if you have time to share advice.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76-80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but I don't run it all the time
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One Marimo Moss Ball

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra betta flakes, Tetra dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times per day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% change weekly, 1- 50% in between
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just did 100% change tonight with adding water conditioner and API Stress Coat. Haven't added aquarium salt, but maybe I should?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.6
Hardness:150
Alkalinity:180

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has had fin rot with black on his tail since I bought him 2 weeks ago, but now his tail looks more shredded.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None that I can tell
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Upon purchase
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have started to change 50% after 3 days, then after the next 3-4 days I do 100% change and now I am adding API stress coat. I think maybe I should add aquarium salt? Also, I had the filter on and he would be pushed a bit toward a plant that I think may have caused some rips, so I removed the plant so nothing is anywhere near the filter and I don't run the filter as much.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only had him 2 weeks
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure.

Okay, some more background. When we got Spidey from Petco, he had some black spots on the tips of his tail (you can see here) and a larger clear/whitish spot on his anal fin, in this picture its right by his long fins, under the end of his pectoral fins. But his tail was totally connected and not ripped.

Day 1 after buying him
Name:  IMG_0097_2.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  84.0 KB

Two weeks later
Name:  IMG_0257.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  37.7 KB

Well, that spot ripped through and its now a fully open tear but it didn't rip up to his body and now it is showing some new clear fin growth (which seems to grow each day). BUT! His poor tail looks shredded (he still has some black spots but a little lower on his tail, the upper part of his half moon tail looks just ripped. Also, I wonder if he may have a black spot on his body that shouldn't be there? Its hard to say because we bought him like this, but you can see it on both photos.

Here is what I have done, I have added API stress coat and I have removed a plant that I thought might have been tearing his tail since it was buy the output of the filter. I have seen some regrowth but I'm not sure his tail is getting better?

Help, what else should I do? Should I clean 100% every day or every other day. I would think that stressful to him, but could do so. Should I add any medicine. Open to all thoughts, thanks in advance.
BeansJDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

It looks like he is tail bitting to me. They can bite for several reasons - stress, boredom, heavy tails, just cause they can, ect. If you can find the reason why he is tail chomping, you might be able to stop it but in the meantime - clean, warm water is the best. You can use AQ salt if you want but dont use it for more then about 2 weeks..its not good for their organs long term.

Is he acting any different?

Quote:
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra betta flakes, Tetra dried bloodworms
you may want to look into a different food source. Flakes can lead to bloating because they are so easy to overfeed and tetra food isnt very good for them anyway. Omega one or new life spectrum are much better for them - look for ones where the first ingredients are fish and not wheat.

This is for Omega one:
Quote:
Ingredients:
Whole Salmon, Halibut, Shrimp, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Astaxanthin, Lecithin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude protein (min) 42%, crude fat (min) 12%, crude fiber (max) 2%, moisture (max) 8.5%, ash (max) 8%, phosphorus (min) .5%.
If you insist on flakes - omega one's flakes are pretty good and not nearly as small as most other brands.
Quote:
Ingredients:
Whole Salmon, Black Cod, Seafood Mix (Including Krill, Rockfish, & Shrimp), Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude protein (min) 43%, crude fat (min) 12%, crude fiber (max) 2%, moisture (max) 8.5%, ash (max) 8%, phosphorus (min) .5%, omega 3 (min) 2%, omega 6 (min) 1%.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-05-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #3 
BeansJDS

Thanks! I will continue the clean water changes. I will go buy better food today too. I haven't seen him bite his tail and he does have some black tips so that is why I was thinking rot. I really haven't noticed any unusual behavior or changes to his behavior since we got him.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #4 
BeansJDS

Help/advise needed. Spidey definitely has rot, it looks like his tail is fraying not just bit in chunks but fraying in between the red skeleton. I want to try API Tetracycline or API Triple Sulfa. Which one and do I keep up the water changes during the treatments?

I am doing 30% then 100% switching each day. Adding stress coat each time and wondering what more to do as its getting worse. Help.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #5 
BeansJDS

Oh, he is now only on Omega one food.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Can you post a new photo, so we can see what he looks like now?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #7 
BeansJDS

Yes, I will later today. His tail got worse but all the black spots on the end are gone. I figured it out from process of elimination, it was the filter. I put nylon over it which helped and he only has soft silk plants and a bridge I checked and sanded down. I put in stress coat and finally his fins are showing some growth. I have a question though, does stress coat affect the filter? Ill post a pic later today.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #8 
BeansJDS

Latest photo of his tail, it's worse but I think we are seeing new growth. I think it was the filter that got him bad, have removed it and waiting on sponge filter coming :)

He also really likes swimming on his Marimo moss ball.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  57.3 KB