Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #1 
Vampure

Thumbs down Fish Matching again for my girlfriends tank

My girlfriend has a slightly spastic betta in a 10 gallon tank. It has an air stone and a filter and after Christmas will have the rest of it's decorations. It's a crowntail so it's a bit more flowy than my Mo Mo (veiltail) so, along with the more attractive tail (for fish to attack) and slightly spastic personality (sometimes happy and calm, other's off the wall and slightly aggressive), we have a different problem as far as compatible fish for her tank. I was wondering what some suggestions would be for her fish. (Btw, I'm asking for her cause her comp is a lil slow sometimes) He's such a pretty fish and deserves something to go in there that'll be nice to look at but not outshine him. Again, just as mine, it'll be after Christmas that the fish are added. Thanks so much.
Vampure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #2 
aquakid

I would definatly try the Zebra Danio or The Glowlight Danio
aquakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #3 
Vampure

Thanks so so much. What would u think bout neon tetras? They're her fav.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #4 
jeaninel

Neons would be good. And they're not as hyper as danios.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:17 AM   #5 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Danios would drive my betta crazy. Danios drive me crazy! Neons would be MUCH better...
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #6 
Kim

I'm thinking some pygmy cories. They occupy the bottom area so they are less likely to upset your betta. Mine loved regular cories. Danios are super hyper and will probably provoke an attack from the betta that you described. They may also nip fins. That is another reason that I like cories-you know they won't nip your betta's fins. Cories need sand though....
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #7 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I agree. I'm getting ready to stock a betta tank with pygmys. Danios are crazy! I have one lone danio in my 100gl. He was used as a cycling fish and the nutball schools with my torpedo barbs. He's about one inch and they are four inches and he looks comical doing this. As big as the barbs are they seem bothered by his constant hyperness. He messes with the barbs gentle schooling by swimming all herky jerky in & around the barbs. If I felt I could remove him without having to break down my tank I would. Definitely nix the danios!!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:02 PM   #8 
Vampure

Thank you'll for the advice. My girlfriend is really happy bout the yes on the neons. She loves em. Sadly both of the bottoms of ours are gravel so cories are unfortunately out. I was looking at them for my tank actually. I like the look of some of em but they wouldn't do well in either of our tanks. My next tank (whenever I get it) will most deff have sand as the sub though. I guess we're gonna try tetras in both of our tanks though and see how it goes. Wish us luck. I'll try and give an update for each of our tanks as we add em. :)
Old 12-17-2008, 11:20 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with your tanks.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #10 
iamntbatman

I would suggest slightly larger fish than neons. Big male bettas are known to eat neons. Cardinal tetras look very similar to neons (a little better looking in my opinion) and get a little bigger. Black neons also get bigger.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote