Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #1 
samanthacollier

Is my "She" a "He"? Is this a bubble nest?

Hello there,

I'm not sure if this is the correct discussion board but I figured that you'd know being breeders and all.

I bought Chloe about two weeks ago and was told she was a girl. I just opened up her tank to do a water change and found what I think is a bubble nest? Would you take a look and let me know what you think?

samanthacollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Well, I don't think this is the right board, but sexing bettas *is* hard. Do you have a picture of the fish with the ventrals down? This will be the best way of telling. The body shape, in my opinion, is pointing to male.

Females can blow nests as well, so that isn't really much of a way to distinguish anything. Also, males can have ovipositors, so neither is that. Lol. Just get a pic with the vents down if possible. (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #3 
Shiverdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Well, I don't think this is the right board, but sexing bettas *is* hard. Do you have a picture of the fish with the ventrals down? This will be the best way of telling. The body shape, in my opinion, is pointing to male.

Females can blow nests as well, so that isn't really much of a way to distinguish anything. Also, males can have ovipositors, so neither is that. Lol. Just get a pic with the vents down if possible. (:
Males can't have ovipositors. What looks like an ovipositor is actually a *ahem* protruding rectum.
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiverdam View Post
Males can't have ovipositors. What looks like an ovipositor is actually a *ahem* protruding rectum.
I was just trying to keep it simple, Lol. But, yes, that would be it.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #5 
samanthacollier

Thanks for your quick reply - Here is another pic:

Old 06-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #6 
BettaFran

It does look like a bubblenest. But do you use StressCoat by any chance? (I've seen that create bubbles before). As you've probably read on this site, females can make nests. Your fish has an interesting combo of long fins and a short tail. Do you see a white dot behind her pelvic fins? Also does she have a lot of gill tissue showing when she flares? (White dot, almost definitely female; gills showing, especially if flares head on, vs head down, maybe male. But if she's young you might have to wait a bit to tell for sure).
Those china cups look pretty. Are they sealed? (Just wouldn't want any heavy metals to leach out over time).
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #7 
Hadoken Kitty

Also, if the nest near the filter? Filters can create bubbles as well. Those vents look long and thin....some males have short ones..but usually they're thicker. Most females' vents are shorter, though. I zoomed in on the pics, but with the fish created that shadow I can't find an ovi.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #8 
samanthacollier

Hi BettaFran,

I don't use StressCoat and thank you for pointing out the China. It isn't sealed (I didn't do it so I don't think it is?) so I took it out. I don't see a white dot at all and I googled where I would find it. Another poster previously said she looked about 4 months old so maybe we'll find out? The store I bought her at had her in with other fish too. I haven't seen her flare yet as I don't have a mirror to put in front of her.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #9 
Hadoken Kitty

If there isn't an ovi, then its most likely a male. I'd really love to see a pic of it flaring, though.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #10 
samanthacollier

Hmmmmmm! I wonder.... she's quite feisty but I guess both males and females can be? The bubble nest was far away from the filter - it's a lot smaller than other bubble nests I've seen but I wasn't sure. I'm trying to get a better picture of her underside but she keeps moving!!