Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hard to tell with this one... How easy is it to get it to flare, and when it does flare, how large is it's "beard"?

For now, I will say male, because of the longish ventrals and bubble nest... Overall body shape and fin length as well. Of course, only time will tell for sure.

Btw... Ovipositors are a bad way to sex... I have girls without them and males with them...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #12 
samanthacollier

Thanks for the reply Matt. It's interesting - I guess only time will tell! I have a mirror around the house somewhere - have to find it... I'm going to look now
samanthacollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #13 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Not knowing the sex is kind of frustrating and kind of fun all at the same time XD.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #14 
samanthacollier

So I found my mirror and she/he wouldn't do anything - "Chloe" kept moving along the glass until she could see me. I think she thought I was going to feed her so she wasn't interested at all. I've had two other betta's (boys) and they both flared like crazy when I put the mirror up? Do you think if it was a boy, and because it was put in a tank with other fish at the pet store, it became more docile? This is fish psychology 101
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #15 
BettaFran

Yeah it's amazing how quick those guys can be...especially when you want to get pics! Grr! You have a compact mirror? You could hold that up to front or side of tank and that might work.
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

I am leaning towards male as well. That anal fin is just saying male to me.

All my wilds have 'ovipositors' (I know males don't have actual ovipositors) and so I agree that it isn't the best method of determining the gender of a fish. I usually say use the presence or absence of an ovipositor in conjunction with other factors.

Try the end of a pencil/pen. My fish hate that.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #17 
samanthacollier

It's funny cause this fish isn't scared of anything - I can practically put he/she in my hand when I put my hand in. It's tough doing water changes as she/he always stays so close to the gravel vacum.

I'm a fairly new Betta fan but I've fallen in love - they are such amazing little creatures and have so much personality. I work from home so I get to "hang" with her most of the day. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I have to re-name him or her. She also seems hungry 24 hours a day - i only feed her a couple pellets first thing in the morning and then again at night. Can she be wanting more?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #18 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Depends on the brand of food, but typically all bettas will act like they're starving all the time lol.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #19 
BettaFran

Samantha, they're definitely mesmerizing and addicting! Glad you're enjoying your mystery fish ;)

Matt that info on even some females not showing ovipositor is good to know. Guess all our bettas like to have the upper hand and keep us guessing! lol
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #20 
Setsuna

Hes a male for sure
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote