betta fish

Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #1 
justmel

Exclamation Fin rot or something else? please read all & advise

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 hospital tank
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes, from the filter
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? normally a snail, now nothing

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NSL everyday, frozen mysis shrimp & beef heart, and live bs for treats
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 3 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: NA
Nitrate: NA
pH: NA
Hardness: NA
Alkalinity: NA

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Edges of fins are turning black and falling off
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Quite eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? AQ salt, 1tsp/per gal
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? at least a year

This is my mom's betta, so I can only say what I've know & have seen. My mom brought him to me yesterday and said he had started acting funny the day before when he quite eating. When she feed him yesterday morning she noticed the black on his fins. I've never dealt with fin rot from the start (I've gotten them sick & helped them get better), so I don't know how quick it progresses. Ming (the betta) has already lost half his tail & more keeps turning black. I'm really worried about Ming and I really NEED to save him. My mom has been through a very rough patch lately & her pets are the only thing she feels she can count on. Just a few weeks ago she had to put her cat to sleep & 6 months before that she had to put another cat down. If this is not fin rot or there's a better way I can help him please advise. Any & all advise is welcome!

Before & now pics
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's some aggressive rot. I'd bump up the salt to 2 teaspoons per gallon (dissolve it first always) and do 100% changes everyday on him either until you see the black go away or until you hit the 14 day limit. After that, discontinue the salt.

If the rot persists up til 7 days, I'd bump the salt up to 3 teaspoons per gallon but that should stop it no problem.

But 100% daily changes is key! This get's rid of any unwanted bacteria and demotes any more of his tail from rotting.

After you see no more black you can stop the treatment and then it's a long road to recovery. Generally a month or so for what he's lost, it might be a little bit longer. Keep water clean and warm is the first step, so if it's a once a week change, make it two changes a week (slightly less. So if it's normally 50% once a week. Do 30% twice a week instead. You can do 50% but I found that 30% is a nice number) and use Stress Coat instead to help heal those fins up!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #3 
justmel

Thanks hun. My biggest worry at this time was that maybe I was misdiagnosing it. I didn't think it acted that quickly normally & you are probably right that I need to step up the treatment to 2tsp/gal since the edges are still turning black. It has slowed down, but it's still there definitely.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Not a problem yes it's definitely fin rot.

The key thing though is doing those daily 100%'s that's what's really is going to help him

I hope things start turning up for him soon and keep us updated
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #5 
justmel

Thank you again lilnaugrim. No new black on Ming this morning, so it looks like we are on the way to recovery. It means a lot to me to be able to help this betta out for my mom. Thank you so very much for your time & advise.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh good! That's the first step to recovery

I'm also glad that I could help! It feels good to know that I can too help other's and help their Betta's. I couldn't image not helping people out and thirsting for more knowledge It's still crazy to think that I've only really known half of this stuff for little less than 6 months when my Betta Bug started in December. I didn't research much till about February though!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hey there justmel! I was wondering how Ming was doing? Has he recovered at all?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #8 
justmel

Thanks lil, he has. With your recommendation to up his salt dose the fin rot cleared right up. He lost a lot of tail, more than half of if (I found out he's a DT. His tail was to big & full to see the split before). Grow back is happening slowly, just the barest line of visible fin growing back, but he's eating will and very active. He'll be his beautiful self in now time.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Wonderful! Oh gosh yeah that happened to my boy Mercury as well when I found out he was a DT I was just like WAHHHTTTT? haha

I'm glad he's doing well and growing healthy again!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #10 
justmel

I suspected Ming was a DT since mom first showed him to me, but his tail was so full you couldn't see where it might split. Now the split is obvious and full.

On another note - I was looking at your art thread the other day (great stuff!) My daughter is totally in love with your Loki cat for the same reasons your friend requested in. I was wondering how you feel about designing a tattoo? Betta related of course. Right now I'm just playing with the idea. Not sure how big I would want it, or how many bettas, but I know your skill and thought I'd ask if you felt up to the challenge?