Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #1 
blueyesk23

Question My Betta wont make a bubble nest

My daugter as a red betta not sure what kind tough. He seems to be doing good had a case of fin rot but going away. The power has gone out and he is starting to come bak around from there. But I need to know if it is normal that e has never made a bubble nest since we have had him. We have had him for a couple of months now at least sine October.
blueyesk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #2 
Cody

It is fine for a betta to not make a bubble nest. They usually only make one when the conditions are 100% to their liking.

If you do want to see him make one, then you may want to tell us more about the tank to make sure he is getting optimal care (IE filtered, tank size, heated, etc).

And are you sure it is a boy?
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #3 
fishman09
Banned

he is probally just to young or he could be to old, or just not bothering, sometimes they will only build one with a female
fishman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Cody. The conditions have to be to their liking. Mine seem to make them when the weather is warmer.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #5 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

And then sometimes the conditions are perfect and they still don't build a bubble nest. I have two bettas, in two separate *identical* tanks. Each tank tests exactly the same as far as water parameters. Both tanks are planted. They are each fed the same food, kept at the same temperature, etc. I show no favoritism!
One has a huge bubble nest going and the other one has shown no inclination towards building one at all.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

When I first get mine, they blow bubblenests, then they stop for some reason. The last two I got at the same time, different stores. One blows nests all the time and the other one did for the first month, then quit. Weird.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #7 
bxtorr19

My last Betta never made a bubblenest and I had him over 2 years and he was totally spoilted. Don't worry about it.
bxtorr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have had bettas that never made real nests, just scattered bubbles all around.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:56 AM   #9 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I have had bettas that never made real nests, just scattered bubbles all around.
Flame does that! Silly fish, he covers the top of his tank in bubbles, but never makes a real nest. I think he's old though. Professor Lupin has blown bubble nests almost daily since I brought him home from school. He does it all at once too, like if I destroy it during a water change he will religiously work on building one until it is done . My new guy hasn't blown any bubbles yet, but I've only had him for one night, so what can I say.

However, although I do agree with the previous posts, I think that we need more info on the specific situation here to rule out other environmental factors. What is the tank size, is it heated, is it filtered, is it cycled, the water change schedule, etc.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

My female scatters bubbles every now and then. I have one that blows bubbles under a silk plant leaf. He's in a gallon and a half and he loves his silk plant.