Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #1 
NorthernLights

Can a Non-Marble Change?

So, I realized the other day that Odysseus is changing his coloration -- not in a "I'm sick" kind of way -- he's getting more colorful. His head is now masked with the same vivid blue of his body. It's not quite complete -- he has a dark "skunk stripe" down the top of his head, but his face and lips and area around his eyes are now bright blue where before they were dark. He's now also developing red rings in his pectorals (consistent with his butterfly pattern) where before they were only white and blue.

I know that marble bettas can change their coloration dramatically and may keep changing their whole lives. I though marbles, however, always retained a spotted look that indicated they were marbles. Hence, I never though Odysseus could change his colors. Am I wrong? I know that dragonscale bettas can extend their colored scales on their faces (which is why they go blind, right), but Odysseus isn't pale like a dragon scale.

Can all bettas do this, or is Odysseus just a weird fish?

How have your bettas changed over time?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

How do you mean "pale like a dragon scale"?

Yes I find that other fish can have the Marble gene but not 'look' like a Marble. one of my Dragon is also losing his 'skunk' stripe and is becoming a Full Masked Dragon.

But yes over time they can come into their full color potential as they grow up and get older. I've seen that with Betta's who aren't Dragons or Marbles and just solids.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #3 
Deanna01

If he has the marble gene, he can change color even if he didn't appear to be a marble. Bettysplendens had a great article on this type of marbling.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #4 
NorthernLights

@Deanna01: Cool article! I never would have guessed they could do that! Odysseus looks quite similar to the first shot of that turquoise betta, except he's royal blue where that guy is turquoise. I guess it will be an adventure!

@Lilnaugrim: On the dragonscale, I thought dragonscales had a relatively pale, irridescent body with bright fins -- that's what the "Betta Tails and Colors" sticky thread over in the Betta Fish Care forum shows. I read on another thread that partial masking with that "skunk stripe" is a very dragonscale feature, which is what got me thinking. Am I misunderstanding something here?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #5 
KohakuRiver

Read this thread. It's where I learned the difference. It's pretty old though.
KohakuRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah gotcha, no dragonscaling can be any color. I have a girl that's black body with a deep blue dragon scale. Another boy is lighter colored blue but it doesn't have to be pale in color although most you see are white/blue
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote