Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #1 
Roemgie

Velvet?? I need help!

Ok so I have 3 tanks set up right now. A 20 gallon long with 8 female bettas and it's unfortunately uncycled. A 5 gallon with my one betta male and a million snails (my boy just laid another batch of eggs...oh those bladder snails...). And my third is a 2.5 gallon tank with my girl Maybelline who is completely clamped up and not doing well at all.

I'm going to assume that all tanks are infected since I didn't not think until I was told earlier that I would infact be under attack by velvet.

Now that I am pretty sure it is velvet I need to now know what to do. I've turned up my heater from 80-82 and will turn up the heat in an hour or tomorrow morning so as to not stress my girls in the 20 long out. I will also do my boy and Maybelline but I would like to make sure that I'm not going too fast.

I only have AQ and Epsom salt, Maracyn Two, and Para Guard on hand as fighters of this disease. I also have 2 syphons that were used and some water that got into my empty 20 tall tank. I need help in knowing how to respond to and deal with this because I lost one girl last night and I will not lose anymore!!

ALSO I just want to make sure this little specks couldn't possibly be caused from stuff coming off my sponge filters? or from dirt moving around in the tank?

Here are the videos I took:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7vT0sTbz20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8t5U5hDNcA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyDgiZz6cZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P8nB9fWpQc

Here are some pictures of my 20 long and the girls in there, also Maybelline.

Maybelline:

This is how she looked like when I came home wednesday after being gone for a week to a wedding. My roommate fed everyone once but I think they got stressed because one of my girls had jumped and passed away so they rearranged themselves the week I was gone.

This is what my filter looks like:

And some of the things in my tank:

Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #2 
HeroicPoison

You have velvet I do so believe
I read the sticky, you treat it like ich... I cannot properly quote (so sorry) since I'm on my phone but this is what it says
"•Treatment: You can treat Ick either conservatively or with medication. Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F. Then you can choose to treat with salt or medication. Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then it can be difficult to heat the water. There are heaters for smaller containers, but you can also float the quarantine container in a larger heated tank during treatment. Do a full water change every day and add an appropriate amount of medication to the water. "
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #3 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPoison View Post
You have velvet I do so believe
I read the sticky, you treat it like ich... I cannot properly quote (so sorry) since I'm on my phone but this is what it says
"•Treatment: You can treat Ick either conservatively or with medication. Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F. Then you can choose to treat with salt or medication. Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then it can be difficult to heat the water. There are heaters for smaller containers, but you can also float the quarantine container in a larger heated tank during treatment. Do a full water change every day and add an appropriate amount of medication to the water. "
Thank you so much! I unfortunately have class 9-12 and work 1-5 so I probably wont' be able to do much, if any. I think I'll do the Maracyn treatment for my 20 gallon and tonight figure out where to put the snails and get the salt treatment for Maybeline and Maximum.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #4 
HeroicPoison

You can float the snails in a deep ziplock container in your tank :)
Old 06-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #5 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPoison View Post
You can float the snails in a deep ziplock container in your tank :)
That's actually a good idea! I'm currently keeping them in a fish bowl (I didn't buy it! Someone gave it to me when I rescued their fish from them!). And my main man snail keeps edging towards the top -__- but I'm hoping to maybe do a few scale cleaning of Maximus's tank (since he hasn't shown any signs and seems clear :D ) and then think about adding the snails back in (since currently their with all my sorority plants so they could potentially be carrying velvet...so Of course now I'm talking myself out of that idea lol)

But thank you for responding :) I'm currently doing the aquarium salt treatment and tomorrow marks day 3 so 11 more to go!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #6 
Hishifishy

Good luck! Update us on how treatment goes. Velvet is a nasty one since its hard to see signs unless you are looking closely or the betta acts sick. I just got rid of mine (hopefully) with acriflavine.
Hishifishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #7 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hishifishy View Post
Good luck! Update us on how treatment goes. Velvet is a nasty one since its hard to see signs unless you are looking closely or the betta acts sick. I just got rid of mine (hopefully) with acriflavine.
Today is day 3 of treatment and the girls seem fine thankfully! They do seem a little bit slower but I think all the AQ is effecting them. But I'm glad to hear that you think you've gotten rid of it!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #8 
Roemgie

Ok so a quick update, everyone is doing well! The AQ treatment seems to be working so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! We're on day 6 of the no more than 14 day treatment!! And Ms Maybelline is also recovering nicely!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #9 
HeroicPoison

Great to hear!
They are tough little fish for sure :)
Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #10 
Iorek

Just a quick note: Velvet is a photophilic disease - which means it can only continue its life cycle when there's a light, covering the aquarium with paper and making aquarium water a little darker will help the treatment.

Velvet is really contagious and you can always try professional medications, sera oodinopur is really strong solid treatment method, but messes up the BB and cycle
Iorek is offline   Reply With Quote