Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #1 
Flapmon

Food has turned slimy.

During cycling I've noticed the betta food has become slimy, thick... The filters can barely suck it up and get clogged almost instantaneously. Any suggestions? I was thinking of siphoning it out but it defeats the whole purpose of cycling for bacteria.

Help?! ;-;
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #2 
BettaFran

I assume you're talking about fishless cycling? What I would recommend is syphoning it all out; you don't want your substrate and filter to be gunked up. Then an easier way would be to put one precooked shrimp in a pantyhose piece tied into a little pouch. Then place that in your tank. It will dissolve to its heart's content and start your cycle without all the muss and fuss ;)
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #3 
waterdog

I'm not a believer in fishless cycles, but definately get the old food out of it.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #4 
Flapmon

I'm not a believer in fish being in a cycle, but I'll siphon it today and go but ONE prawn. Hahaha. <<
Old 06-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #5 
BettaFran

Yeah I did that several times in the past. Fishmonger looked at me weird when I asked for just one. But hey, if you can eat shrimp, why not just buy half dozen or so and have a "I'm cycling my new Betta tank" celebration dinner. ;)
Old 06-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #6 
Flapmon

Just siphoned it today, ammonia lowered, nitrite skyrocketed and the nitrate wasn't fluro yellow but it wasn't orange either. I'll be adding the prawn tomorrow. Thanks guys. (:
Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I wish that "shrimp" advice would die the ignominious death it deserves. It has been discredited for years but just keeps coming back.

While it is rotting to create ammonia, shrimp especially, but also fish food can become infested with and grow Saprolegnia mold. While not fatal, it's not healthy. And it's difficult to get rid of.

I recommend pure ammonia that does not foam when shaken.

Opposite of Waterdog, I'm not a fan of fish-in cycling. But, assuming a 5g or larger tank, I'd rather do that than use rotting shrimp or fishfood.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle and Cycling. Methods for Ammonia, Nitrite Removal.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #8 
BettaFran

Wow, guess I'm behind the times. Used it before without problems, but sounds like it was just luck. Sorry about the misinformation.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #9 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Opposite of Waterdog, I'm not a fan of fish-in cycling. .
You and I differ on a few things hallyx, but I think our basics are pretty close!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #10 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I wish that "shrimp" advice would die the ignominious death it deserves. It has been discredited for years but just keeps coming back.

While it is rotting to create ammonia, shrimp especially, but also fish food can become infested with and grow Saprolegnia mold. While not fatal, it's not healthy. And it's difficult to get rid of.

I recommend pure ammonia that does not foam when shaken.

Opposite of Waterdog, I'm not a fan of fish-in cycling. But, assuming a 5g or larger tank, I'd rather do that than use rotting shrimp or fishfood.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle and Cycling. Methods for Ammonia, Nitrite Removal.
Australia does not sell pure ammonia.