Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #1 
AMH777

Unhappy Betta really stressed, not sure why...?

I have a female betta that I decided not to breed. That was her intended purpose, but I realized she is too big for my male. She is in a heated and filtered tank (sponge filter), steady 78 degrees F with a ph of 7.6. she has been in there for a few days, and yesterday I could see very definate horizontal stripes and orange around her eyes (which are normally all black in her). Half the time she is hiding inside an empty huge snail/hermit crab shell, and the other half she is darting around the tank. She is in there alone, and she still eats some, but not nearly as much as normal for her. Any ideas what's wrong? All help is greatly appreciated.
AMH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Orange around her eyes? Could there be a form of algae growing on her?

Also, 78*F isn't really heated....bettas need 79*F-86*F to thrive and stay less stressed. You would be surprised what a single degree can do.

What all is in the tank?

Also, pics please?
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #3 
sainthogan

Most people would say 86 is too high. My female freaks if her tank is above 76 (trust me, I've tried, many, many times based on the advice given by several people - if her tank is warmer than 76, she becomes droopy, fins clamped, she turns pale, and she hides) my male on the other hand prefers his tank about 79.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

I only say 86*F, because that is breeding range.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #5 
Wildbetta

With your female darting around the tank, hiding, going slightly off her food, and stressing...she might have parasites. Look at her as closely as possible to see if you see any white dots (like grains of sand), dust that could either be a grayish color or look golden, or anything on her scales or hanging from her gills, and watch her poop to make sure it is not white and stringy.

I agree about upping the temp to 79-80F as just that small change could make a big difference.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #6 
AMH777

the orange around her eyes kinda freaks me out... her head has some gray on it but it has always been liken that, and she wasnt acting like this for the first while I had her. I havent seen any spots on her, but I'll keep watching... She has an old hermit crab or snail shell, its big. also there is gravel and her filter and heater and water of course:] She is in the tank alone like I said, so she is not spreading it around, whatever it is. She used to be in a divided tank with my male betta, but he isnt stressed like she is, still happy and building bubble nests.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Do you see her scratching on anything? When she is darting around does it look like something is irritating her or is it more of a panicked dash around the tank?

Usually water quality and then external parasites are the two possible issues I look at when a fish starts to display behaviours like what you are describing.

However, she may just be uncomfortable in the new tank. You say she has only been in there a few days, has she been doing this since she went in, or has it only just started?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #8 
AMH777

and her poop is orangish brown
Old 06-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

That sounds perfectly normal. The colour/texture of the faeces is usually dictated by what the fish is eating. I get quite stringy and colourless faeces if I feed a lot of frozen foods for example.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

I've found that with NLS, they turn out orangish due to the coloring of the pellet, whereas OmegaOne will be a lighter brown since that pellet is a lighter brown.