Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 02:11 AM   #1 
RabidAliver

Advice for a beginner planted tank?

I was interested in changing out the decorations in one of my boys' tanks with live plants lately, but I know nothing of what they really NEED as far as plants go. So I have a few questions:

Is a 3 gallon tank even enough to put all live plants in?
Is an artificial sand substrate able to sustain live plants? Or do I need to get some kind of soil?
Will LED lights provide enough light to keep the plants alive?
Are there any other things (like rocks, driftwood, etc.) That need to go into a planted tank?
What are good plants for beginners?

I'm completely new at this and never actually have had a planted tank at all, so any advice and information helps!
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

A three-gallon can be planted; you just need to make sure you buy plants that won't get too tall. My plants did not do well with LED lights but others may be able to tell you which plants will.

Sand is a good substrate. Whether artificial sand will work depends on what you mean by artificial sand.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #3 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
A three-gallon can be planted; you just need to make sure you buy plants that won't get too tall. My plants did not do well with LED lights but others may be able to tell you which plants will.

Sand is a good substrate. Whether artificial sand will work depends on what you mean by artificial sand.
By artificial sand, I mean it's not rock at all or even real dirt. I think the bag said it was some sort of plastic-like material =/ but I dunno at all what type of "plastic" the bag said it was, if I had to take a guess purely from memory I would say it said...silicone, maybe? It began with an "s". All I know is that it's fish-safe, because back then I wasn't planning for planted tanks ^^;

This is brought on by my poor boy tearing his tail on even silk plants somehow...and I heard plants help with other things too. I wanted to take a gamble at a planted tank because I also love how they look :D
Old 06-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu

Then it should work. Figure out what plants can grow with LED lights, which plants won't outgrow the aquarium and you're good to go.

Decorations, driftwood, etc. are up to what you like. I like Banana plants, Anubus (could have spelled it wrong), mosses and small swords (not Amazon swords...they get huge).

Planted tanks are great; it's so satisfying to watch the plants grow and your Betta swimming in and out and all around them.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #5 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Then it should work. Figure out what plants can grow with LED lights, which plants won't outgrow the aquarium and you're good to go.

Decorations, driftwood, etc. are up to what you like. I like Banana plants, Anubus (could have spelled it wrong), mosses and small swords (not Amazon swords...they get huge).

Planted tanks are great; it's so satisfying to watch the plants grow and your Betta swimming in and out and all around them.
Alright, thank you :D The tank's also in the path of indirect sunlight too if that would help out with the growth at all, a lot of light comes in during the morning.
Is there anything else I should know before going out and getting these plants?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #6 
RabidAliver

Well, I got two different Anubius plants and a Java fern. Let's see how well this experiment will turn out :D
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #7 
lilyth88

Quote:

I'd recommend Anubia Nana. Regular Anubias get large.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #8 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
I'd recommend Anubia Nana. Regular Anubias get large.
I actually piced up two of those today :D What I'm hoping is that the java fern won't overgrow though and steal light from the Anubia.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #9 
redcharizard

this is relative to my interest i wanna pick up the cool factor of my tank im rather dissapointed
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #10 
RabidAliver

One of my anubias plants is growing what looks like algae on its roots...is this normal? D: