Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #1 
Lindsaypez

Please help: when should I feed my fish again?

Sooo, I wrote about this poor betta last week. I got him a week and a half ago, and I put him in a half gallon bowl just until his new home comes in the mail. It hasn't come yet! So I transferred him to a 3 gallon tank. I bought a heater, Prime water conditioner and everything. It took 4 days for me to get him to eat.

Over the weekend he did great. We had a heat wave and temperatures in the tank were right at 80 and he was one happy fish. Swimming around like crazy, very social, etc.

But then he got really sick. I think he got sick for two reasons. The temperature in his tank dropped to 70 (His heater didn't work at all!!) and he appeared to have swim bladder issues. For a day, he was lethargic and hanging at the top of the tank. Any time he would swim down, he would bob right back up like he had no control. Then the next day, I was *sure* he was dying. He was at the bottom of the tank and struggling to "breathe." His front gills were moving in and out really hard and really fast and he had that glazed over, dead fish look in his eyes. I was so mad and sad. I've tried everything to save this fish!

I ordered a better heater from amazon and put it in. It appears to work. I got the temperature to 76. But my fish was still doing SO BAD. He wasn't moving at all.

But then last night he started hanging out at the top of his tank again, and he stopped struggling to "breathe." He was still lethargic, but he looked a *little* better.

I woke up this morning, and he's swimming around his tank! He greeted me! He's still not 100%. He's swimming a little slow and his eyes aren't as glazed over, but they aren't totally normal either. The bummer thing is that apparently his new heater failed last night, and right now his tank is at 72 degrees.

Through all of this illness, I didn't try to feed him. But he's acting like if I fed him now, he would eat. Should I feed him? Or should I wait a bit more since he's not acting totally normal? Or should I wait until the temperature in his tank gets better? The heater appears to be working now but it's still at 72. I don't know why it doesn't work in the night time. And now I'm worried about him getting some other illness since his temperatures have not been stabilized at all. But I'll worry about that if it happens. I just can't decide when I should try feeding him again! I don't want him to have the swim bladder issues again, especially if he's not 100% better yet. Thanks for reading. :) Oh, and can anyone recommend a heater that actually WORKS? I'm so annoyed. Two have failed me. Right now I'm using the Hydor 25 watt submersible heater that you can adjust the temperature on. Tonight I'll jack it up as high as it will go (83 degrees) to see if that helps...
Lindsaypez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #2 
redcharizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaypez View Post
Sooo, I wrote about this poor betta last week. I got him a week and a half ago, and I put him in a half gallon bowl just until his new home comes in the mail. It hasn't come yet! So I transferred him to a 3 gallon tank. I bought a heater, Prime water conditioner and everything. It took 4 days for me to get him to eat.

Over the weekend he did great. We had a heat wave and temperatures in the tank were right at 80 and he was one happy fish. Swimming around like crazy, very social, etc.

But then he got really sick. I think he got sick for two reasons. The temperature in his tank dropped to 70 (His heater didn't work at all!!) and he appeared to have swim bladder issues. For a day, he was lethargic and hanging at the top of the tank. Any time he would swim down, he would bob right back up like he had no control. Then the next day, I was *sure* he was dying. He was at the bottom of the tank and struggling to "breathe." His front gills were moving in and out really hard and really fast and he had that glazed over, dead fish look in his eyes. I was so mad and sad. I've tried everything to save this fish!

I ordered a better heater from amazon and put it in. It appears to work. I got the temperature to 76. But my fish was still doing SO BAD. He wasn't moving at all.

But then last night he started hanging out at the top of his tank again, and he stopped struggling to "breathe." He was still lethargic, but he looked a *little* better.

I woke up this morning, and he's swimming around his tank! He greeted me! He's still not 100%. He's swimming a little slow and his eyes aren't as glazed over, but they aren't totally normal either. The bummer thing is that apparently his new heater failed last night, and right now his tank is at 72 degrees.

Through all of this illness, I didn't try to feed him. But he's acting like if I fed him now, he would eat. Should I feed him? Or should I wait a bit more since he's not acting totally normal? Or should I wait until the temperature in his tank gets better? The heater appears to be working now but it's still at 72. I don't know why it doesn't work in the night time. And now I'm worried about him getting some other illness since his temperatures have not been stabilized at all. But I'll worry about that if it happens. I just can't decide when I should try feeding him again! I don't want him to have the swim bladder issues again, especially if he's not 100% better yet. Thanks for reading. :) Oh, and can anyone recommend a heater that actually WORKS? I'm so annoyed. Two have failed me. Right now I'm using the Hydor 25 watt submersible heater that you can adjust the temperature on. Tonight I'll jack it up as high as it will go (83 degrees) to see if that helps...
aquaeon 50 watt fully submersible

heats up water pretty accurately for me pretty happy with the purchase as for you fishy sounds like he got shocked(temperature drop) i would leave a few pellets in unless hes bloated or hasnt pooped i would wait till he pooped try to unconstipate him
good luck!
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #3 
Lindsaypez

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcharizard View Post
aquaeon 50 watt fully submersible

heats up water pretty accurately for me pretty happy with the purchase as for you fishy sounds like he got shocked(temperature drop) i would leave a few pellets in unless hes bloated or hasnt pooped i would wait till he pooped try to unconstipate him
good luck!
Thank you so much for your advice!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #4 
Lindsaypez

ahhhhh I can't win. I feel like I keep hurting this fish more than helping it. He wanted to eat. He was nipping at his plants and random things; he was looking for food. I gave him 2 little pellets an hour ago, and now he can't swim down again. He's still being active and swimming all around the top, but when he tries to go down be bobs back up. I shouldn't have fed him yet!! Hopefully he gets better again soon. :( The tank temperature is slowly rising and I'm going to keep an eye on it all day to make sure it keeps at a good temperature. Hopefully this swim bladder issue gets better soon. I've been contemplating giving him a pea since I've read that helps, but I've also read other people say it's not idea to give them peas. I think I'll just leave him alone and hope for the best...
Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #5 
Nicci Lu

A good, natural alternative to peas for betta constipation is to give him either frozen daphnia or frozen brine shrimp. Frozen, not freeze dried. The chitin acts as a fiber laxative. Though daphnia is most often recommended, I've had better luck with the brine shrimp with my betta. After feeding daphnia for a week with no results, one meal of brine shrimp produced the most massive betta poop ever.

For SBD, you can also try epsom salt. It is not stressful for bettas. Start by adding 1 tsp per gallon of epsom that has been pre-dissolved in tank water. Add the epsom slowly to the tank over the course of an hour. If after a day it isn't getting better, you can up the epsom to a max of 3 tsp per gallon. The epsom can be found at grocery/drug stores. It's often used for soaking feet. It must be 100% pure magnesium sulfate, no additives.

The most reliable heaters, the Cadillac of heaters according to many and myself, are by Eheim Jager. Very stable. Strangely, your Hydor seems the second most recommended. Perhaps you just got a bad one and you should return it for a new.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #6 
Lindsaypez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
A good, natural alternative to peas for betta constipation is to give him either frozen daphnia or frozen brine shrimp. Frozen, not freeze dried. The chitin acts as a fiber laxative. Though daphnia is most often recommended, I've had better luck with the brine shrimp with my betta. After feeding daphnia for a week with no results, one meal of brine shrimp produced the most massive betta poop ever.

For SBD, you can also try epsom salt. It is not stressful for bettas. Start by adding 1 tsp per gallon of epsom that has been pre-dissolved in tank water. Add the epsom slowly to the tank over the course of an hour. If after a day it isn't getting better, you can up the epsom to a max of 3 tsp per gallon. The epsom can be found at grocery/drug stores. It's often used for soaking feet. It must be 100% pure magnesium sulfate, no additives.

The most reliable heaters, the Cadillac of heaters according to many and myself, are by Eheim Jager. Very stable. Strangely, your Hydor seems the second most recommended. Perhaps you just got a bad one and you should return it for a new.
Thank you so, so, so much for your advice! I'm going to try the brine shrimp first, then try the Epsom salt. Do I need to do a 100% water change after the Epsom salt has done it's thing, or is it ok to keep doing 25%-50% water changes?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #7 
Nicci Lu

I hope it works. It's likely the SBD is stress related and once he gets settled in, he'll be good as new. [ EDIT: But the shrimp and epsom will help him get back to normal.] The brine shrimp are good sized and crunchy (not that I've ever tried them myself- at least that's what it sounds like when I hear my bettas chomping on them ;)), so start with just one for the first feeding and see how it goes.

The epsom can be used indefinitely, so there's no need to do a 100% WC. Your regular WC schedule is fine. Just make sure if you add it back in after a WC, to only add the amount of epsom that corresponds with the amount of water you removed.

Last edited by Nicci Lu; 06-06-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #8 
redcharizard

i did smashed garlic with pea skin/casing and i broke it up into very small bits so that if he nipped it would fit in his mouth also i didnt feed him anything so if he didnt like the garlic pea he would have to eat it anyway and he pooped nicely next day
didnt feed him the day after
and for the SBD i havent had problems with that so im not too sure but i know over feeding can lead to that so try fasting your fish and give him garlic pea skin if your on a budget or low on time or what ever

dont feel guilty not feed him bettas will keep eating even if it kills them
and good luck
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #9 
Lindsaypez

Frozen brine shrimp has done the trick! He LOVES them. He didn't even think about them and immediately gobbled them up as soon as I put them in the tank. I only gave him a few. Now he's acting like a totally normal betta; swimming all around his tank. He hangs out at the top and hangs out at the bottom. Swim bladder issues seem to have subsided. His tank is now 78 degrees and things are looking good! Hopefully the heater doesn't fail over night like it did last night. We'll see what tomorrow brings but I am utterly amazed that he is totally back to life. He was dying last night, I swear! What strong little creatures these fish are.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #10 
Nicci Lu

That's awesome, I'm so glad he's better!

I remember when my first betta got sick, and I nursed him back to health. I was humbled by what a tough little guy he was, fighting so hard to make it (which he did). Bettas are strong little creatures, they impress me.