Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #1 
Averroes

Fin Rot or Tail Biting??

Hello all,

My wife and I recently got Sapphire as a gift, and he was initially very happy to have the company (he had been kept alone in a small bowl). We introduced him to a 5 gallon tank and treated the water and introduced some plastic plants and hiding spots to keep him entertained.

A couple of days after we introduced him to the tank, we went to bed and woke up to discover his tail was shredded. We have been treating it by keeping the water clean and adding aquarium salt, but the tail keeps on receding. We're not sure if it is fin rot or tail biting.

I should mention that he seems to get really bored sometimes, swimming against the current of the filter etc, so we have tried to keep him occupied with finger chasing games and spending time with him, but we both work long hours and are away from 8 am until around 8 or 9 pm. I should also mention that when his tail starting getting shredded, he was still building a bubble nest.

I have attached a photo that I took this morning. Anyone, please help!! Is this fin rot or tail biting?

I have grown so very attached to Sapphire (he has a great personality, greets us in the morning and at night by dancing, etc) and I don't want him to die!!

Thanks,
Averroes
Attached Images

Averroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #2 
darkangel

It looks like tail biting to me. you can look at this blog post, his tail looks like the pictures to me.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote