Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #1 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Unhappy Betta not eating

I posted a thread a while ago.http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=196618 So as you can see, Minerva has not been eating lately. She has not been eating for at least 3 days. I am going out today to buy higher quality food for her( omega one pellets) and perhaps try to feed her bloodworms. I am really worried, because she barely moves, her fins are clamped, and she just seems downright miserable. She seems so much worse... Is the only problem that I am not giving her food she likes? Is there anything else I can do to get her to eat?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Currently Aqueon pellets though I will buy her better food today
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? nope

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins are clamped, seems slightly paler too
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? won't eat
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no, but I will be going to Petsmart to grab some better food for her today.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that I am aware of...
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not quite sure, I think 1 or 2 years old.
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #2 
Narny105

Can you please get your water tested by petsmart? Also have your tap water tested. If you're doing 100% water changes, you really need to know those results. They'll usually do this for free. Also, what is the name of the water conditioner?

Just these parameters for tank and tap are necessary:
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

In the mean time, you can try soaking food in garlic to try and stimulate her appetite. If she's clamped and not eating, her food preference is not the cause of the issue.

Last edited by Narny105; 06-06-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #3 
Laki

+1

Have you noticed her poop? Is it orange-ish? Or white? Stringy? Or a little clump?

Has she been clamped for longer than 3 days?

What has changed around her tank? and how much conditioner do you add?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #4 
sunlight

Ok the only symptoms that you wrote : fins are clamped, seems slightly paler too.
And it since 3 days ago. So just want to make sure there is no bloating ? Is he swimming at all? When he swimming can you see if he is bloated or may be swimming on one side ? Is it looks like he cant swim straight ?

When is last time you change the water? Is it possible that you did something differently or didn't put enough of the water conditioner?

Is it happened right after you change the water? Do you usually acclimate the betta when you do 100% water changes?

If you can please answer those questions.
If you go to the pet store buy aquarium salt . If you can go also to any supermarket , pharmacy but plain Epsom salt. Just plain unscented without any additives.

If you can answer those questions so we can decide which one of those salts you can use for first help.

Didn't see your guys responses but yes i agree. But looks like Happyhobbit don't have those water parameters. If you have this betta for a year and was doing 100% water changes then should be fine unless you have ammonia in your tap water. But if so he would probobly have those symptoms already long time ago

Last edited by sunlight; 06-06-2013 at 10:50 AM.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #5 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Narny:the water has not been tested but I will do that. Thanks for the garlic tip I will try that!
Laki: I have not seen her poop but I will keep an eye out for that. She hasn't been clamped longer than 3 days. I did just get a new silk plant, might that be part of the problem and I add about 2 1/2 tablespoons of water conditioner.
Sunlight: No bloating, thankfully. She does swim a bit but not very much. I just did a 100% water change and yes I acclimate her. Oh, and I haven't had the betta for a year as I just got her at my LFS, but I'm guessing that's her age.
Sorry for making this so confusing and not giving a lot of info before, guys. Thank you for the feedback!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm sorry to say that the food you are feeding has nothing to do with her not eating. She's sick or something - there's definitely something else going on. Aqueon pellets are not horrible pellets, but they also aren't the best... Omega One IS better.

1. Why are you adding 2.5 tablespoons of conditioner? That seems like a lot. Fish can get sick from too much conditioner. What kind are you using? Do the directions really say to add a tablespoon of conditioner or did you mean teaspoon?
2. Lethargy and lack of appetite are common symptoms of almost every problem. Hopefully, if you look closer, you can see some other symptoms. Look for gray belly, protruding eyes, anything strange on the body (white dots like salt, gold dust like pollen), raised scales if you look at him from above, etc... Unfortunately there is no way any of us can tell you whats wrong just by knowing that she's lethargic and not eating. It's way too broad.

Hopefully we can figure it out so she can get better.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Oh yes why it so much of the water conditioner? Can it to be a problem? Did you put the same amount of the water conditioner last time before she get lethargic? Follow AyalaCooki advice. Try to see , examine her closer for any other symptoms she may have. Sometimes you can bring bettas already sick from the store. Was she lethargic when you first got her from the fish store? Was she eating before and then became lethargic while you having her?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #8 
KevinPham123

Up the temperature to about 82 degrees plus. Small things can go a long way.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #9 
Happyhobbit

I guess I thought I wasn't putting enough in, but if that much could hurt her, I will DEFINITELY stop using that much.Her scales kind of seemed like they were pineconing but it could just be me... here is a picture. Sorry about the flash, by the way...
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

Did you check your water ?
How i understand no other symptoms right?
Is she like that from the first time you brought her home? Did she ever behave differently?
Did she ever eat before?
Also every time you put anything in the tank just rinse it with hot water. I don't think that she is like that because you put silk plant in the tank though.
I would do 2-50% water changes with right amount of the water conditioner . I would 50% now and another 50 % in about 3 hrs and see if it helps. What kind of the water conditioner are you using?
Can you get Prime by Seachem? It the best water conditioner in case something wrong with your water.
If water changes will not help i would do salt treatment. Not sure if other people agree with me but if she is lethargic there is something going on. So we need to find out if it water problem , and if not i think salt will help. Since salt i has antibacterial affect .
Did you have a chance to buy salt like some one already recommended?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote