Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #21 
sunlight

Thank you LBF for explanation i understand.
Also Happyhobbit can you tell us the instructions for the usage on water conditioner bottle, so we can figure out how much you need to use per one gallon?
How is she doing?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #22 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Well she hasn't got much better... Also I noticed that she will try to eat the pellet. ( I returned the flakes and got the omega one pellets) But she will spit it out, then get it again, then repeat... this may be a stupid question but what's wrong? would this just be a sign of constipation or something?
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #23 
AyalaCookiejar

It usually means that they are having issues eating it. It's too big or not soft enough...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #24 
LittleBlueFishlets

Use your fingernail to break up a pellet, and feed her a small piece. Hopefully, she'll eat that.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #25 
ANHEL123

Hey there is no stupid question , please don't shy to ask . I have bettas for 7 years and still asking a lot of question . LittleBlueFishlest knows most of my questions since i am sending her a lot of pm's lol
Please give us update please.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #26 
AyalaCookiejar

I agree! I've learned a ton and answer a lot of questions posted here but I still have many questions of my own at times. Sometimes it seems like an irrelevant question or one I already know the answer to but we all worry about our fish and naturally we ask questions just to be sure.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #27 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
So I removed the gravel, and she still hasn't pooped. So far there is not much to tell, but hopefully sooner or later we will start seeing improvements. And it's good to know I can ask anything and I won't be judged for it, I should have known the forum wasn't like that!
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #28 
ANHEL123

Is she bloated bloated at all?
Is she active at all or just laying on the bottom? Still refusing to eat? Did you tried to break up the pellets?
And you already did water changes right? For your tank size you can do 2-50 and 1-100% water changes. So make sure you change the water and add epsom salt for the new water. Like when you do 50% you add only 1.5 tsp/gall if you do 100% water changes you add 3tsp/gall of epsom salt. And i think you already know how to acclimate the betta to the new water?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #29 
sunlight

i have a question ...for LBF. If she is not bloated but still lethargic not eating, it seems like something is definitely going on with her. Is it good idea to treat her with aquarium salt to try to prevent bacterial infection. I think she would be already bloated if it internal problem , since Happyhobbit have him for 2 weeks already. Well it still can be internal problem but i would think to try daily water changes and 3 tsp/gall aq salt???
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #30 
LittleBlueFishlets

@Happyhobbit - it can take a couple of days for the Epsom salt to work, especially if you're using a low dosage. If you want, you can increase the Epsom salt dosage to 1 teaspoon per gallon.

When was the last time she ate? If she's not bloated, you can offer her small meals, of any type of food you want. If she doesn't eat it, remove it from the tank, and try again later on. Bettas love garlic. So you can try soaking her food in some garlic juice, to see it that entices her to eat.

Also, you can cover the top of the tank with plastic wrap to increase the humidity level. (Make sure there are at least several inches of air for her to breathe, though!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Anhel123 - Yes, you can definitely do water changes that way! But I find it easier to just premix the Epsom salt into a container of water, then use the container for the water changes....

For example, if I wanted to maintain a dosage of 2 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon on a partial water change, I would: (1) Mix up a container of conditioned water with the 2 tsp Epsom salt/gal. (2) Remove the old water (whatever percentage). (3) Use the premixed water (2 tsp/gal) to do the water change.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Sunlight - I would avoid Aquarium salt if there is any chance of something internal going on.

Aquarium salt is high in sodium. It's processed by the kidneys, which places stress on them. (This is why it's not recommended to use Aquarium salt for more than 10-14 days max. Using too much, or for too long, can cause kidney damage.)

The sodium in it also causes fluid retention (in both fish and people), and can contribute to buoyancy issues.... The only reason to use Aquarium salt is for its antimicrobial properties on external issues (such as fin rot, etc)....

Epsom salt, on the other hand, does not contain any sodium. Therefore, it doesn't stress the kidneys. This is why it's safer to use for longer periods of time. (Some fish with chronic SBD will stay on a low dose of Epsom salt all the time.)

Epsom salt acts as a fluid reducer, a laxative, and at high concentrations, it can expel parasites. (This is according to a recent study I read.) It also has minor antimicrobial properties. So it also works a little on external issues (such as fin rot).

With regard to Happyhobbit's betta specifically: since we don't see anything external, it's possible there is something internal going on. Using Aq salt might worsen the issue. Using Epsom salt will probably help. If she's not eating due to digestive issues, constipation, or even parasites, the Epsom salt should help.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-11-2013 at 11:25 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote