Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #1 
TheCassinator

Exclamation Help!! *urgent!!*

Okay, I think my little betta doesn't have too much longer...

I live in residence and I had a betta, and he was happy. But then the holidays came and I had to take him home and the weather wasn't too good outside. So, I had him in the little container that you get the betta fish in and the ride was a little bumpy. When I got home, I prepared his tank again and made sure everything was good, but he hasn't been acting the same. And now I think he's about ready to go for he looks like he's almost suffocating at the bottom of the tank. Previously, he didn't look to good since I brought him home, but i would tap a few times and he'd surface to the top like crazy for air. Today he didn't eat and he really doesn't look to good and I'm afraid he's going to be dead in a few hours. I know it's probably too late, but is there ANY way I can help him??

thank you
TheCassinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #2 
TheCassinator

he also looks like he's a little top heavy..
i just took him out of his tank and when I tried catching him, he swam around a lot and went up for air a few times.
though he's still not looking too good...
Old 12-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #3 
Cody

We need to know more about your setup.

How long have you had have the betta?
Tank size?
Filtered?
Heated?
Did you use new water to setup the tank, or the same from the residence?
Did you ever cycle?
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #4 
TheCassinator

I've had him since September
Not sure on the tank size...but it's not very big.
Not filtered or heated, but that didn't cause a problem previously
And yes I did use new water to setup the tank and currently I'm thinking that's the main problem. I changed the water in the tank again with water that would be more like the water from my residence (not sure why I didn't use it before...)
And I'm not sure what you mean by "cycle".
Old 12-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #5 
MsFrosty

Im thinking maybe ammonia spike? I am no pro but isn't it the ammonia when they are near the top struggling for air.
MsFrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #6 
Cody

First off, I want you to read these.
Betta Care: http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish/...are-faq-14871/
Cycling: http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish/...12/#post156131

Secondly...

Did you use a water conditioner/dechlorinator on the water? The water, also, being uncycled, is probably full of bad things like ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Be sure to do water changes every day, since it seems like it is a very small container.

If he is lying on the bottom, that is a sign of being too cold or being too weak because of bad params. You need to upgrade and purchase a heater and filter.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #7 
TheCassinator

Okay, so I've come to the conclusion then judging by your comments that it definitely is the water and the temperature that is causing the problem. I do have a conditioner for the water and used it the first time, but I also used the drinking water the first time which very different from the water I've used previously (just normal tap water).
But here's another question...
after changing the water and putting the conditioner in, how long will I need to wait before it's safe to put the fish back in?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #8 
Cody

It would just be like doing a water change, so it is probably ready. You will have to be doing WC's every day since your tank is so small.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #9 
TheCassinator

Alright well I've done everything I possibly can with what you've told me and what I have here. I've changed the water with better water and conditioned it, plus making the temperature a better temperature. I don't have a heater, so I've compromised by stacking a pile of books to put the tank on that is right under a light that is giving off some heat...I hope that'll do the trick for now. He's in the tank now, and his behaviour hasn't changed yet (but I guess I can't expect so much so quickly). I guess it's just a waiting game and hopefully he starts to recover with the better conditions.
Thank you for all the advice!
Old 12-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #10 
TheCassinator

well actually, I don't know if my "compromises" are really working. though the light is giving off heat, the water is just turning colder again, even though it was at a comfortable temperature. He's also going on his side which I would assume isn't a good thing. I might have been too late in trying to fix my mistake, but we'll see I guess. I don't have a chance to purchase a heater today so I'll have to make do.