Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #11 
TheCassinator

Okay well, he's not getting any better so far...and he's pretty top heavy. I mean, if I move the tank a little or something, he MAY be able to swim around and he would go up for air. But then he'd eventually go back to the bottom and look pretty ill. Half his body keeps floating upwards as his head holds him down and I'm assuming that's a bad sign. I feel like it's too late to save him unless there's a way to fix that.
TheCassinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #12 
Cody

Does his body have anything strange on it?

IE,
White Spots?
"Pimples"?
Look from the top; raised scales?
Clamped Fins
"Dents"?
Torn Fins?
Missing Scales?
Anything?
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #13 
TheCassinator

not from what I can see, but I can look more thoroughly.
I just tried feeding him a little bit again (he wouldn't eat earlier today), and after coming up for air frantically (as per usual), he noticed the food and just started eating away. He could swim around normally and it seemed like nothing was wrong.
Then, when he finished he went back down to the bottom and basically went vertical because his body would just float that way, then it went to its side somewhat and he looked dead again.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #14 
Kim

Sounds like swim bladder disorder. What do you feed him and how much? Have you seen him poop lately? A lot of times bettas in cold tanks (they're body is not metabolizing nearly as fast as a betta in a tank heated to say 78 degrees) will get constipated from overfeeding. Then, when they bloat up their swim bladder is compressed. The swim bladder is what makes fish float and swim straight and evenly through the water. It keeps them in balance. If the swim bladder is depressed they usually either float on their side or sink.

I would try fasting him for a day, then feeding him a tiny piece of a mashed up, deshelled, and thawed pea. Daphnia (you can get it frozen at most pet stores) is actually better if you can get him to eat it (mine won't).

Trying this and upgrading his living environment will definitely help save him. Good luck!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #15 
TheCassinator

Alright, I'll give that a shot! Thank you =). So don't feed him then til Thursday with the mashed up pea? Will he still be okay by then? I guess I'll just have to wait.

Again thank you for all the help! I love the little guy and don't want to see him go!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #16 
TheCassinator

Another thing about his appearance is I noticed his body is kind of curved "permanently". But right now I'm rooting on the fact that it could be the swim bladder disorder (hopefully). I can try posting pictures up soon so it all makes a lot more sense...but SBD does sound pretty accurate so far.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #17 
TheCassinator

As well, his poop looks about the same it has ever since i got him...its always just a little round ball.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #18 
TheCassinator

just a little more information...
the tank is only 1/2 a gallon / 2 L
and i feed him betta food flakes..usually just a pinch
Old 12-24-2008, 01:36 AM   #19 
TheCassinator

Wow I keep posting on this thing like crazy...but anyways..
Good news! i just checked up on him again (I can't sleep because I've been thinking about him too much!) and he was at the top this time, looking pretty happy!!
He was doing the usual floating at the bottom deal, but he was starting to look better already! I've taken a pile of photos of him to show that he's feeling better=). I am feeling more and more confident that the little guy will pull through and be a happy little fish again! I'm so happy right now =D

Thank you for all the help you guys have given me to help save him!
Here's the beautiful guy that you've helped...
Meet *ahem* "Luigi" Linguini Karsten Warhol...but you can call him Linguini =)

Sitting with his mouth wide open..a common occurrence today..

Getting some air.

This is just a cool photo I think..

Almost better =)...isn't he precious? I love him =)

So far there seems to be some good signs that he'll recover which makes me really happy =). He's too wonderful to go so early.

Anyways have a good night everybody!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #20 
Nudist

he is a beautiful fish, good luck on continued success with him getting better.

Steve
Nudist is offline   Reply With Quote