Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #21 
TheCassinator

Thank you Steve.
I'm feeling more confident this morning that he's going to be okay. There even appears to be some bubbles appearing on the top of the tank =). He mostly is acting like his normal self again this morning, so I don't know if it was SBD or not but I'm just going to hold back on the food for now. I don't think I'll give him the pea unless there's absolute no harm done because of that. He seems to be doing a lot better in that situation and I'm thinking he'll be okay
TheCassinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #22 
Joel918

Hey I've had this happen to my beta before. He would lay around on the bottom of the tank or on the top.
Joel918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #23 
Joel918

what size of tank is he in
Joel918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #24 
TheCassinator

not a big one...1/2 a gallon.
because i live in residence i cant get him anything bigger unfortunately =(
TheCassinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #25 
Kim

That's great that he is feeling better! It did look like he was a little bloated, so a fast would help that. Another thing that probably brought this on was the sudden change to the new water. Fish are very sensitive to water parameters such as pH and hardness levels, so all changes should be done gradually. To avoid this in the future, float the bag with the fish in it in the new tank for 15 minutes to let the temperature adjust, then open the bag, remove 1 to 2 tablespoons of water and replace it with the new water (depending on initial water volume). Do this every 15 minutes until the fish is in all new water. Then, they should be properly acclimated when put into the main tank. I usually acclimate new fish for at least 1 hour, and I take up to 2.5 hours with sickly ones. You can also set up a drip line, but there is usually not enough water in those little betta containers to do this. However, if you want to know how I'd be happy to explain it to you. This is the method that I use with most of the new fish I get.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote