Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #1 
Kiara1125

Glofish --Dyed fish

It really annoys me how people say that glofish are dyed. No, they're genetically altered. If they were dyed, then why is the fluorescent gene passed on through generations? These people aggravate me. What about you? Also, might as well put up a friendly debate on what you think about glofish in general.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2 
trilobite

I like glofish. I like the idea that they are genetically engineere, it fascinates me.

I dont like how they are banned in new zealand though... they are pretty much just normal danios which we are allowed in. We are allowed the ones carrying the longfin gene so why not ones carrying the fluorescent gene...They arent going to escape into our freezing cold 4 C water and breed with our completely unrelated native fish species to create GE mutants, nor are they going to pose any more risk to the environment .than a normal danio would.
I think NZ takes the "clean green" image too far to the point of it being unreasonable.
A few years ago some got in somehow and quite a few people had them, then MAF (our biosecurity people) hunted every single one down and destroyed them.

Just like some other time a few bettas were caught being smuggled into the country. All were killed. The reason they stated was that they are fighting fish and very aggressive so will be a huge threat to the native species. Which is nonsense bettas would not survive one second in our water...

Lol anyway thats my rant
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #3 
Kiara1125

Aww! So, are you completely not allowed to have any bettas?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #4 
trilobite

We can have bettas we just arent allowed to import ones we want. So I cant go on aquabid and buy real nice fish because Id have to pay $10000s and if they find something wrong with one fish then they will kill the whole batch

Basically theres a few importation places that have an over seas supplier who just gives them bulk bettas. No choosing, its just luck if you get anything other than a vt or ct lol. And since importing costs $10000s it raises the price of a single common vt. Vts here are $25-30
Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #5 
Kiara1125

Wow ... How much are other things, say milk and such? I know that if you live in Hawaii [since it's an island] you have to pay $8 for a gallon of milk. Here it's normally half that.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #6 
trilobite

And bad quality black orchid ct can go for $180 lol.
Ooh $8 that sucks. Yeah we have quite cheap bread and milk. Bread is like $2-3 and milk is $2.50 because nz makes its own and doesnt need to import it
Old 06-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #7 
LizbethDawn

I'm pretty sure for a while there was a type of glow fish that were not genetically engineered and they were injected with the stuff that make deep sea squids glow or something like that and people were pretty unhappy about that.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #8 
thekinetic

Glofish are in fact genetically altered danios, they are used in the detection of pollutants.

Here check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GloFish
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #9 
Kiara1125

You don't even need wikipedia. They have a website of their own.

http://www.glofish.com/

They describe on several different pages on how they're genetically altered and have never been dyed.

They started out with zebra danios and got many different colors. Then they moved onto black skirt tetras [also has a white skirt variety], and now [I just NOW found out] they're practicing with tiger barbs.

Last edited by Kiara1125; 06-07-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #10 
thekinetic

And I still soooooo want some!:3
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote