Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #1 
redcharizard

Exclamation betta destroyed two shrimp help

ok so one of my betta destroyed two of my ghost shrimp and i want to get more so they can help clean up but how do i get my betta to leave them alone and what can i do to help the shrimp hide

he left one headless last night and the other died blind this morning
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #2 
Kiara1125

Your betta is most likely incompatible with shrimp and won't get along with any others. Ghost shrimp are easier because they are transparent and bettas usually don't mess with them. Other shrimp tend to have color and would attract bettas to them. I would suggest not putting any more snails in with your betta.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #3 
redcharizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Your betta is most likely incompatible with shrimp and won't get along with any others. Ghost shrimp are easier because they are transparent and bettas usually don't mess with them. Other shrimp tend to have color and would attract bettas to them. I would suggest not putting any more snails in with your betta.
laaaame! but thank you its just i had hope since i have a divided tank and my other betta leaves them but come to think of it i have different colored gravel one is red other sky blue and on the red side it hard to see them but even when my red side betta sees them he ignores them for the most part but the blue side actively hunted and chased them
Old 06-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #4 
Kiara1125

Try just keeping shrimp on the red side then.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

Are you sure your Betta killed them and wasn't just picking at the dead bodies? Ghost shrimp are considered "food" shrimp and aren't treated very well and die-off is frequent.

To keep shrimp and a predator, you need more hiding places than currently in your tank. I have live plants and different types of live moss and have no problems.

Maybe you could try a Nerite or Mystery snail? Good luck with whatever you decide.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #6 
redcharizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Try just keeping shrimp on the red side then.
im particular about having the tank "even" lol
so kinda bumming me out that its not even in content
and blu was docile untill the new tank he has no stress line or change in color still kinda young about 9 months
Old 06-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #7 
redcharizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Are you sure your Betta killed them and wasn't just picking at the dead bodies? Ghost shrimp are considered "food" shrimp and aren't treated very well and die-off is frequent.

To keep shrimp and a predator, you need more hiding places than currently in your tank. I have live plants and different types of live moss and have no problems.

Maybe you could try a Nerite or Mystery snail? Good luck with whatever you decide.
yes i am very sure he killed them because i was watching him for a long time chasing and nipping and hunting them i took a break to eat and relax when i came back he was dead and headless and the other shrimp couple hours later was in the same position but still alive and blind no eyes
thank for the suggestions ill look into those critters