Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #1 
DreamerHorse

Question 10 Gallon Tank Plans

Okay, I got a 10g tank at the beginning of the month. It's the AquaCulture kit with the 5-15 filter and hood. I set it up and put my new betta fish (Twlight) in it.

The thing is, I want to divide it. I'm going to be getting #7 craft canvas and white report covers. I've been wondering though if glue from a hot glue gun would be safe. I say this because I can't find any aquarium sealant at my walmart, and it's $10 from walmart.com for a small thing of it. Which may seem not much to some people but my family is being really tight on money due to some things going on. And what stores might have aquarium sealant? BTW, we don't have any petstores around.

On another note, I'll also be getting some more fake plants and some gravel. They have fake silk plants in the fish section, but I'd get more coverage with a package of 3 other fake plants. What do you think I should go with?

Last but no least, I can't decide which betta fish I would put on the other divided side. I have another male betta (Valentine) and a female (Azure) who is housed lone surviving guppy (Speckles, who has a shredded tail because of said male betta). Which ever betta goes in the 10g, the other goes in the 2.5g. The guppy stays with my female betta.

So yea, that's pretty much it. I would appreciate people answering my questions. :)
DreamerHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hot glue can be used as long as it's 100% glue and no other additives.

And probably the package of 3 as long as they're silky or fabric and not plastic. You can use fake leaf packages from the craft sections of wal-mart as well. Rinse them off well and in they go, as long as there isn't any metal in them they're safe

And I would put both males in the divided tank although 2.5 isn't much room for a girl and a guppy. So I change my mind, put the girl and the guppy into the other side and give Valentine the 2.5
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #3 
Rana

I tried using hot glue for my dividers, and before I put water in the tank it was fine but as soon as the glue got wet it failed to stick to the glass. I believe that hot glue is aquarium safe if allowed to cool completely before being put into the water, but it doesn't hold up well.

I bought my sealant for $5 for 3oz, which is quite a lot, on Amazon but I don't know how much it would be in a store. You can usually find it at Home Depot/Lowes or other hardware stores, the important thing is that it must say it is 100% silicone and must not contain any fungicides/mildew resistance, since that will poison the water. The big sizes that comes in a round tube you need a special gun to use, but the tooth-paste looking tubes you can just squeeze. Honestly I think used maybe a third of an ounce for my dividers, and they're nice and sturdy, so you can use a dinky little tube no problem.

You can also make dividers without anything to hold them in place, you just need to have extra mesh so that instead of going straight across they curve- this tension, plus the gravel on the bottom, will hold them in place.

As for who goes where, I would put the female & guppy on one side and the shredded male on the other and keep the quarrelsome male in his own tank, but that's just my opinion.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #4 
peachii

I use sealant Waterproof Silicone made by GE for Window/Door - have to make sure it is 100% silicone with no additives. It's completely fish/aquarium safe and holds up just as well as aquarium sealant, plus it's super cheap. You have to buy one of those caulking guns but it's still cheap with that added on. Have had no issues with it and it lasts forever as the tubes are huge compared to things of aquarium sealant.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #5 
DreamerHorse

Thanks you guys for all your responses.

I'm going to Azure and her guppy friend iin the 10g once it's divided. Valentine isn't quarrelsome, but he got a little nippy when I put 3 guppies in there with him. 2 of the guppies died from illness about a week after I got them, but I managed to save the one and since then he has resided with Azure in her 1.5g. Yes, I know, it's too small. But they're going to have an upgrade soon, and Azure has never shone any violent tendacies. She's a sweetheart.

As for the plants, my walmart downgraded their craft section and when I went there last (yesterday) I don't remember seeing plants in the craft section. So I think I might be stuck with plastic. As it is, since I'm moving next month I think I'll grab the silk plants while I can, because Azure's plants will be going in with her. After I'm moved and all, I'll get more plants for coverage.

My walmart doesn't have mesh, but my dad's does and I asked if he'd buy me some next time I visited and he said probably. Last time I was there we also took a looksy for dividing supplies and looked at sealant in the home repair and glue in the craft section. He also suggested his help with setting it up, so I'll tell him about the no additives/funicides/mildew/it has to be 100% silicone. If I do decide to use glue or whatnot, Twilight will be residing in a 1 gallon bowl for a few days. But I might try the no glue/silicone way first.

Last edited by DreamerHorse; 06-07-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #6 
OrangeAugust

I didn't use glue on my DIY dividers. The width of the mesh with the report binders on each side fit perfectly in my 10 gallon tank. They moved a tiny bit so I used suction cups, one on each side of the divider, to keep it in place. So check the fit of your dividers first. you might not need glue.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #7 
DreamerHorse

Alrighty then, I will. :) Although I have no clue where to get suction cups. And how did you put them on your divider? I was thinking some string, like thread, but... not to sure how that would work.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #8 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerHorse View Post
Alrighty then, I will. :) Although I have no clue where to get suction cups. And how did you put them on your divider? I was thinking some string, like thread, but... not to sure how that would work.
Hehe the suction cups came off my heaters that I didn't use anymore and I just suctioned them to the glass on either side of the divider and they come with that heater attachment part so they're high enough to keep it in place... you can probably find regular suction cups at a store, though.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #9 
LADY K

i use the little suction cups that you use to hang your christmas lights in your windows .
LADY K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #10 
DreamerHorse

Interesting. I'll keep the suction cup thing in mind. ^.^ I'm thinking of putting some rocks over the gravel... I'll probably be getting white or black. I haven't decided on the color yet though, depends on what walmart has. My dad did the same thing with his new betta, with putting rocks over the gravel, except it's glass stones. :)

Last edited by DreamerHorse; 06-09-2013 at 12:29 PM.