Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #21 
DreamerHorse

I think my walmart sells Amazon Swords. It's that or Anubias. Either way, I think I'm going to get Aponogeton bulbs for $3. I can't find lighting requirements though

Last edited by DreamerHorse; 06-14-2013 at 09:54 PM.
DreamerHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ehhhh I warn you, bulbs nearly never sprout because they're usually just duds that they want to make money off of. But you're more than welcome to try, just a warning.

Probably Anubias, a nice easy low light plant. You just can't bury the rhizome in the gravel, the roots can go in just not the part that the roots come out of on bottom and the leaves shoot from on top.

Amazon swords on the other hand are heavy root feeders and benefit greatly from root tabs fr fertilizer, otherwise they get soft and might die off. They are also moderate to high light plants and grow over a foot tall. So if you don't have a big tank, I don't suggest them lol Anubias is great though! I haven't managed to kill mine yet and I've had it for a year ^_^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #23 
DreamerHorse

Thanks for the warning. If they never sprout, and I've looked at the reviews and people said that it's a 50% chance, then I'll just take them back and demand a refund for dud plant bulbs. xD

Pretty sure it was Amazon Swords. Unless I can find root tabs I'll stay away from them.

I was thinking of having my dad boil or bake the beach gravel, but I'm worried about them exploding, so I'm just going to soak them in hot hot water for 3 days, rinse them thoroughly, and then condition the water they're soaking in 4x.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I tried them once but they were both duds but yes you've got a 30 day warantee on them from the company, not sure if wal-mart will take them back though.

And they don't have to be boiled long, maybe 5 minutes but yeah I think the soaking in hot hot water is probably the best thing to do. Just change it every so often, as I said twice a day is ideal so that it get's rid of whatever they leeched out. You may want to use a few different containers so it's easier to lift to a sink and all. I use regular tupperware containers or any plastic bowls are fine, the bigger ones of course
Old 06-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #25 
DreamerHorse

We'll see about it then. I'll take my chances,

The bucket is from Easter, so my two sisters have one as well. I'll just dump half the gravel into one and soak it like you said.

I've gotten rocks from there before. It was a different section of beach, they were pebble sized, and I rinsed in hot water and they were fine. I haven't had any problems with them.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup that's fine. Even if they were fine before, better to take caution than get one of your fish sick!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #27 
DreamerHorse

Yup. I'm at my dad's right now so I can't do anything yet, but I'll be sure to get on it when I go home.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Np ^_^ I understand totally lol, I go back and forth between mom and dad's house and all my fish stuff is at my dad's

Should look really nice though when you put it in! ^_^
Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #29 
DreamerHorse

Yea, beach gravel and rocks always looks great. I visit my dad every 2-4 weeks or so. I don't have internet at home, so I take what I can there. xD

I found a petstore in Shelbyville, near where my dad lives. They sell bettas, but no good food. I'm going to ask my dad if we can take a looksy when we go back today. I just want to get an eye for what they sell, so if I ever need something and Walmart doesn't sell it, I can ask my dad if we can get it there.

I've also been thinking about adding moss to my tank, but I'd have to order it. My mom isn't too fond of ordering things. I've only ordered something like once, and it was a few years ago.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ahh gotcha, ugg no internet? That sucks :/

Yeah always nice to take a gander at different stores, I certainly do haha

Java Moss is great moss! Grows well and fast and doesn't need too much light to grow! I'm trying to get mine covering my driftwood as well or just enough that I can start using it in other tanks as well ^_^ looks great too