Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #1 
redcharizard

Exclamation need help diagnosing please help

any advice will be appreciated
so here the story to my problem
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=198698

and now after their latest fight , the move to the new tank, and a couple days later both bettas have a white spot that just showed up i took pictures on my phone as best as i could i hope you can help me some how
red was difficult to photograph ill try to get better pix if anyone needs them to help me

redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #2 
redcharizard

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal divided
What temperature is your tank? 80-84
Does your tank have a filter? aquaeon quiet flow power filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? ghost shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon betta trea, aqueon betta food, tetra betta min.
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day sometimes at night as well.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?new tank but if i did weekly 25%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? api stress coat + and nutra fin betta +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Is this summary correct: They were in a divided tank. But someone broke through the divider, and they fought..... And now they have white spots?

Are the white spots on areas that were previously injured during the fight? If so, you may just been seeing tissue that will heal, given time in warm, clean water.

Or are these tiny white dots that are NOT in areas that were injured? If so, this may be the beginning of ich (a common parasite).

If you can get more detailed photos, that would allow us to get a better look.

Also, they look bloated in those photos. Had you just fed them? If not, how much food do they get each day?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #4 
DoctorWhoLuver

It's really hard to tell, but if you say they got into a fight, it could be uplifted scales.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #5 
redcharizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Is this summary correct: They were in a divided tank. But someone broke through the divider, and they fought..... And now they have white spots?

Are the white spots on areas that were previously injured during the fight? If so, you may just been seeing tissue that will heal, given time in warm, clean water.

Or are these tiny white dots that are NOT in areas that were injured? If so, this may be the beginning of ich (a common parasite).

If you can get more detailed photos, that would allow us to get a better look.

Also, they look bloated in those photos. Had you just fed them? If not, how much food do they get each day?
omg thank you guys so much i fed them around 7am blu has always been bloated like that doesnt seem to bother him poops , swims, and acts just fine
i prolly gave a pinch of pellets 7 or more each i feed them once a day
and the spots are on fight areas i was hoping the spots were scabs or something related
Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #6 
redcharizard

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? one white spot and scars from fight
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today 6-6-2013
Have you started treating your fish? no dont want to make things worse without proper diagnosis
Does your fish have any history of being ill? blue had been constipated
How old is your fish (approximately)?maybe 7-9 weeks
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

OK, it sounds like the spots are just minor injuries from the fight.

Keep them in clean, warm water. Do frequent water changes. Monitor the injuries, to make sure they're healing up OK.

(You don't need to add any medications. Bettas are tough little fish. They should heal up fine.)
Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #8 
redcharizard

thank you very much upon closer inspection on blu(with a calmer mind) i can see the scale kinda out like a crooked tooth or something red is all over the place and hes red so makes it hard to see im sure its the same thing
im on vaction so ill keep a close eye on them

but what should i do about the bloating?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

If he's always looked like that, and isn't have problems eating, swimming, or pooping - then I wouldn't worry about it.

If you notice a problem (white poop, constipation, buoyancy issues), that would be the time to address it.

If he is prone to constipation/bloating, you may want to consider switching him to a higher-protein food. The Aqueon and Tetra foods are high in grains (corn, wheat, soybean). This can cause constipation and bloating in some fish. On this forum, the two most frequently recommended foods are New Life Spectrum betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. Both have a lot of protein, so they tend to cause less constipation/bloating issues.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #10 
redcharizard

i might just throw out the pellets i have and go with the spectrum they do eat the pellets but they dont get as excited for them as they do for freeze dried worms
red is a picky eater he ignores the flakes unless hes starving

should i go ahead and feed them frozen brine shrimp anyways and see if the bloating will go down? they lover thats stuff right? and it can be part of their diet?

oh and i forgot the excessive bloating on blue might be because he killed a ghost shrimp last night and ate the eyes of another

Tags
disease?, help betta fish, help me figure it out