Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #11 
fishyinpa

Yah seems like it. Ill learn it all yet! lol. Oh i have bubbles all around the tank edges does that mean he is happy. I sure hope so.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:44 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, bubble nests are good. I have one that blew a nice bubblenest yesterday but it kind of fell apart today. Haa
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:25 AM   #13 
Kim

Hmmm....I just got an idea for you. Do you still have the 2.5 gallon tank? You could keep your betta in the 5.5 gallon and just do 100% water changes once or twice a week (depending on your test results) then cycle the 2.5 gallon with the fishless cycling method. If you stuck the filter from the 5.5 gallon on it the filter would cycle as well. Then, you could just transfer the filter to the 5.5 gallon once the cycle completes and it would be cycled. No stress for your fish! Just don't change the filter sponge for a while to make sure the bacteria has enough time to also colonize on the gravel in the tank.

Anyway, all you really need for a fishless cycle is a dropper, pure ammonia, and a test kit. Hope that helps :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #14 
fishyinpa

Oh hmm...good idea....do i need ammonia to do it or can i do it some other way. I read bout using fish flakes? I did get a jar of that in the package deal i got with the 5.5 tank but obviously not gonna use it lol. If not,thas okay Ill do it the ammonia way lol. So what you are telling me is,that I cycle the filter and then stick it back in his tank,and then his tank will be cycled? Is that right lol. Or i pour the cycle water in his? Eh so confused. Sorry. Heh. Also what other food can i give Fishy? Like other than betta bits....some kinda worms i think? I read they like a variety,so just wondering what i can try. Can i get another brand of betta bites or is that just the same thing lol. ummm...Well im going to petsmart to look for a gravel vac and silk plants for Mr Fishy,yay! :)
Old 12-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feed mine Hikari betta bio gold pellets. You can feed him freeze-dried or frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp but those are to be used as a once or twice a week treat.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #16 
fishyinpa

oh okay thanks dramaqueen. he is on top fin right now,is that okay or is hikari better. do bettas have a problem with switching pellets? Most other species seem have problems with switching foods,I suppose fish could too. Ill look for that.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

I used the Top Fin for my first betta and he ate them but they sank to the bottom faster than he could get to them. Bio gold is a floating pellet so I like them better. There shouldn't be any problem changing brands.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #18 
fishyinpa

Oooh okay,ya i noticed that with top fin. Poor guy has to chase it before it hits bottom. I found the Hikari at walmart so Ill try that on him. Whats up with the packaging though lol. Could be in a lil can like the others make it easier haha. Oh well. I got a gravel vac,siphon kleen its called. Also a few silk plants yay! I found a really cool colorful cave thingy too,I hope its not too big for his tank.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, they should package that stuff better. I put mine in a baggy, then the baggy tore and pellets went everywhere so now I keep them in a tiny plastic box that used to hold craft stickpin thingys. It sounds like you're all set with your food, gravel vac, plants and a nice cave. :)
Old 12-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #20 
fishyinpa

Yup i think so! Lol. Yeah ill find something to put it in. He seems to be a happy lil fishy. Likes following my finger hehe. Hes so funny. Anywho.