Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #1 
RedRay

Question My crowntail beta is changing colors and I don't know if it's bad or good

I've been reading about this on google and it appears that usually when their colors turn lighter its a bad thing? I just got my betta and I probably should have done a little more planning. The person working at the Walmart I bought him at didn't know anything about anything so I had no idea it would need a heater or anything like that. Fear not, I'm going out tomorrow to buy a tank and heater and pH testing kit. I'll probably pick up some aquarium salts and dechlorinator too.

My question here is, when I bought my fish, Ray, he appeared to be dark purple with dark red fins. I took him home and put him into a glass fish bowl with bottled water. I noticed later on that he is no longer purple, but dark red like his fins. I decided he probably was just red all along and the blue medicated water Walmart kept him in just made him look purple. Well now he's changing colors again. His water definitely isn't the ideal temperature and I read that they can change colors when they're too cold but he's swimming around and seems to be relatively happy for now.

The thing is, he doesn't look a sickly color. He didn't pale out exactly, but the back part of his body, near his fins, has turned a really pretty bright pink/purple. I'd kind of like to know if this is because he's unhappy or if it's just normal.
RedRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #2 
redcharizard

how about some pix?
as long as hes not clamping, stress lines, swiming like a maniac, or displaying any type of abnormal behavior besides color changing he should be okay
but its always best to test and treat the water accordingly and you should heat his tank
how big is his tank anyway
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #3 
Sakejing

take a light and shine it over youll see some difference
Sakejing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #4 
KevinPham123

^ +1 to that. And it's also ok if he doesn't eat food for a day or two.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #5 
RedRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcharizard View Post
how about some pix?
as long as hes not clamping, stress lines, swiming like a maniac, or displaying any type of abnormal behavior besides color changing he should be okay
but its always best to test and treat the water accordingly and you should heat his tank
His current bowl is one gallon but the one I'm going to buy tomorrow is 2.5
Old 06-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #6 
RedRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcharizard View Post
how about some pix?
And here's some pictures. The first one is a bit blurry and then he swam away in the second but it caught the color really well

Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #7 
Skyr

I'm just new to betta keeping myself, but I don't think bottled water is good for him either, unless you add the minerals he needs to the water. Dechloronated tap water would be best.
Skyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

Bettas can change color once they are in a nice enviroment. I can still see some purple on him. I have purple fish that isn't staying purple so it happens. You should only worry if color loss is linked to behavior changes like lethargy, gasping for air or other obvious behavior changes. You should get some water conditioner and declorinate your tap water so he will get minerals.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, color, crowntail, purple, red