Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #1 
Kithy

Shrimp in 5.5g w/ betta

Having an algae problem even with minimal light on my tank so considering a shrimp as I've had bad luck with snails.

Looking at Amano. So questions:

Is one enough? What else should I get (more hiding?). Can I QT it in a 2g without a heater for two weeks before adding it into my 5.5g?
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #2 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
Having an algae problem even with minimal light on my tank so considering a shrimp as I've had bad luck with snails.

Looking at Amano. So questions:

Is one enough? What else should I get (more hiding?). Can I QT it in a 2g without a heater for two weeks before adding it into my 5.5g?
Do you have live plants? Amanos, in my experience, are your best bet to be kept with Bettas. They get larger (mine are as long as my betta is) and they are super fast. My bettas never bother them except for trying to take food away from them every once and awhile. They never succeed because the shrimp are too smart and too fast. More hiding is always a good thing. I don't really see a reason to QT shrimp. And they do prefer warmer temperatures. I do have little shrimp pellets that I drop in for them every other day to supplement their diet. Other than that, they are happy munching on dead leaves and algae in my tank.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #3 
Kithy

Well I'd be getting them from PetCo and I'd much rather QT for at least a week before putting one in with my betta and risk him getting something. This tank has no live plants.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #4 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
Well I'd be getting them from PetCo and I'd much rather QT for at least a week before putting one in with my betta and risk him getting something. This tank has no live plants.
That's fine, but I would really recommend a heater for them if that's at all possible for you to do. If you don't have live plants, I'd say pick up some food for them. My shrimp get most of their food from picking at the plants. I toss a few "Hikari Crab Cuisine" pellets in every other day. They go absolutely crazy for them. Just make sure there are a lot of things they can swim behind to break line of sight with your betta. The general rule of thumb is that you can have 10 shrimp per gallon, but I only have 5 in one of my 5 gallons and 4 in the other. It's up to you, really.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

http://msjinkzd.com/species/shrimp/c...dentata-amano/

Lilyth88 is correct: Very hardy shirmp that can take a wide variety of parameters. Like most invertebrates, they do better in hard water. They need lots of good hiding places to destress if your Betta is a chaser. They don't like open water tanks.

Fun shrimp to own with lots of personality.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #6 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
http://msjinkzd.com/species/shrimp/c...dentata-amano/

Lilyth88 is correct: Very hardy shirmp that can take a wide variety of parameters. Like most invertebrates, they do better in hard water. They need lots of good hiding places to destress if your Betta is a chaser. They don't like open water tanks.

Fun shrimp to own with lots of personality.
Didn't know that about the hard water. I have soft water and my shrimp are super active.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

According to what I've read, they (like snails) do better in harder water because of their caparace. But they do fine in softer water, too.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote