Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #1 
Deanna01

Quarantine questions

I have eleven new females coming next week that I want to quarantine before I put into my sorority. They will likely need to live in half-gallon Mason jars. I have questions about how to deal with such an environment.

How long do they need to stay in there?

Will it be unhealthy for them?

How often do I need to change the water? How much do I change at a time?

I'm extremely nervous about not having them in an actual tank, but I have so much invested in betta girls now that I can't risk some disease breaking out and killing off my tank.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

1) Minimum two weeks. If one shows any issues, qt that one for longer.

2) Nope, as long as you keep up on water changes. Many breeders, including myself, use 1/2g jars as temporary homes for males. I use them for qt too.

3) Everyday would be the best, but every second day is fine if that's what you have to do. 100%.

Good luck!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #3 
Deanna01

Okay, Matt. Thanks. I guess I worry about 100% water changes stressing them. How do you keep from accidentally pouring them out? Just put a hand over the jar? And do I need to ensure I QT them in a warm room, then?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I know it might not be possible but this is what I do:

I use the cups they came in (I know yours will be in bags) and they float in the big tank to keep warm, I acclimate them to the tank water so that each day I can take my extra cup, scoop up new tank water and I actually pour out gently their cups into a bucket bellow me, catch them in my hand and swiftly put them into the new cup. You can also you a net if you think you can do that, if they don't have huge fins it should be alright for them.

But another thing, instead of using mason jars you can use Wal-Mart plastic cups, they have a round pack of 3 for a dollar something, super easy with screw on tops. You can poke holes in it for air exchange as well.

Just another idea is all ^_^ I know you plan on breeding so it might be pointless and better to practice jar care on the girls for when you do have fry
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

I am using some critter carriers but I also went to Dollar Tree and found some gallon clear food containers. They even have two gallon round ones but they will take up lots of space. I rinse and soak twice with a heavy dose of prime. The first time for a few hours the second time overnight. They also have some really nice clear cup sized containers with lids (4 pack) I am using the cup to catch them while I change the water. Even if you still go with the jars the cups are nice because you can pour them in them while you add the water to the jars drain most of the water from the cups and then return the fish to the jars. I am quarartining for 30 days as I see many sites recommending that. NPT tanks can be costly it seems worth it. The plastic containers will float so it's possible to float them in a tank with low water to take advantage of the heater.
jadaBlu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #6 
Ilikebutterflies

Something else you may want to do is treat them all for worms. Every single fish I have gotten from Thailand has had worms. The process now is every fish goes into a gallon container and gets a full round of treatment with API General Cure about 1 week into QT.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
Something else you may want to do is treat them all for worms. Every single fish I have gotten from Thailand has had worms. The process now is every fish goes into a gallon container and gets a full round of treatment with API General Cure about 1 week into QT.
My girls never had internal parasites, interesting that yours would. Are you sure it wasn't just because they were fed live foods all the time so hence that being the color of their poo??
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I am curious as to how you are diagnosing them for worms...

I use 2l pop bottles with the tops cut of. Not exactly attractive but it is effective, light, easy, and cheap.

To do 100% water changes I dump out most of the water, and dump the fish and the rest of the water into a plastic bag (like a zip-lock). Then, I rinse and refill the bottle with water, put it back in the container of water that the jars sit in, and then acclimate the fish into the new water. Not that hard at all.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #9 
Deanna01

Matts, when you say "the container of water the jars sit in"--is that how you heat the jars? In a heated tank or somesuch? I've been wondering how to keep them warm enough...
Old 06-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #10 
Seki

I've been thinking about this since I'm going to be quarantining probably 7 girls at the same time while my tank finishes cycling. I had a thought... if I got a long, shallow rubbermaid container of some kind, I could fill it with just enough water so that the girls' cups would just barely be floating (or in your case, the jars could be halfway submersed or something). Then I would use my spare heater (it's only a 25 watt, but I figure I could crank it up a bit and make it work) to heat the water in the container and by doing so keep all my girls warm.

Anyone think that would work? Or is that not such a good idea?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote