Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #11 
Goodbettabest

This is an awesome thread, you guys have covered exactly what i want to know about starting a sorority so thank you!!
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #12 
Seki

Wooo!! Most of my stuff arrived today, and the rest should be here tomorrow. Guess what I'm gonna be doing on my day off tomorrow!! hahaha
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Good luck you two! Glad to help out ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #14 
Goodbettabest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
Wooo!! Most of my stuff arrived today, and the rest should be here tomorrow. Guess what I'm gonna be doing on my day off tomorrow!! hahaha
Very exciting!!! Please please please post some pics
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #15 
Seki

Okay! Got home with my new moss ball and my live plants. I got java fern, Anubias, and Amazon Sword (the salesperson recommended them as easy to care for plants). The Anubias is pretty big! I'm gonna put it in the back of the tank, I think. The Amazon Sword and Java Fern are both pretty small, so I guess they'll go towards the middle? Or am I thinking about this in the wrong way? Also... can any of these plants develop roots on resin ornaments? I'm assuming not, but I only have one piece of driftwood...
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Java fern and anubias will develop roots on whatever surface you tie them down to, not just driftwood. If the resin is smooth they will not be able to attach to it, but if it has a rough texture you may find the roots attach themselves to the ornament after the anubias has been left to grow for a while.

Just tie them to the ornament with fishing line or cotton and they will do fine.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Also Amazon sword is not an easy plant >.> don't worry you're not the only one, I talked to a few others who said the same thing. In fact it actually needs med-high lighting and if you can get root tabs, that will really help it because it is a heavy root feeder and can't get much from the water column. Also it will grow to be over a foot tall....so put that one in back ^_^
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #18 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Also Amazon sword is not an easy plant >.> don't worry you're not the only one, I talked to a few others who said the same thing. In fact it actually needs med-high lighting and if you can get root tabs, that will really help it because it is a heavy root feeder and can't get much from the water column. Also it will grow to be over a foot tall....so put that one in back ^_^
Aaaargh stupid salesperson!! I shouldn't have trusted her... I will give it a try, though... hopefully it won't die. If it does... I'll get another java fern hahaha

LBF - Thanks for the advice!! Yeah, the bridge is definitely not smooth, so it'llhopefully attach itself!!

Guys, do I need to just rinse the plants before putting them in?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

Amazon sword isn't too hard to care for in my opinion. It will grow better in decent lighting, but I grew some in plain old propagating sand with root tabs and intermittent lighting and they threw off new leaves and developed quite an extensive root system.

The only issue is that it does outgrow a lot of tanks.

I usually just give plants a quick rinse under the tap to remove any detritus and obvious pests I can see. Some people quarantine plants or give them a chemical dip but I don't really bother with that.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes you should rinse them, get the gel out from the roots and I give the roots a bit of a trim before they go in. Not the whole root, leave a good inch or more if you can, this stimulates growth. And then in they go!

I mean, Amazon sword is relatively easy to care for, it will do fine in low lights but I really do suggest root tabs. I had was dosing liquid ferts and my sword still got floppy and soft, finally added root tabs and they perked right up