Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah when I ripped mine up, the roots had tangled right around the root tabs I put in. Unless your substrate is something like aquasoil, then I would definitely recommend chucking some root tabs in.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #22 
Seki

Okay, so I need to get root tabs? I have never heard of those and dunno what to do with them lol. This is my first foray into live plants.

I am planning on keeping the lights on for 12 hours a day, is that good? I will probably invest in a timer for my tank light.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Usually 8-10 hours is good. They do need 10-12 hours of uninterupted darkness though so 10 hours is what I'd call max. My lights on are from 8am to 8pm.

Root tabs are super easy, I actually break mine in half and you push it in the substrate, you can follow the directions on the package or you can just put half under the sword and then put the other half under it a month later when it dissolves. They are slow dissolving fertilizer, hence it's good for amazon swords

I break mine in half an I've got two swords so each gets a half for a month and then I check to see if it's dissolved and replace it if it is ^_^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #24 
Seki

Okay, well I can have my timer turn my lights on at noon and then turn them off at 10pm every night. That's about an hour or two before I tend to go to bed anyway, so the fish will have some time to get used to semi-darkness before we go to full darkness.

Root tabs sound easy enough, I'll pick some up next time I am at Petsmart.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup, pretty easy and about 6 dollars to for 6 of them which isn't terrible. My LFS was going to charge me 12 >.> so I decided to go to Petsmart lol
Old 06-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #26 
Seki

lol yeah, Petsmart tends to have better prices than some LFS. Mine is actually pretty darn good.

Quick side note... picked up a moss ball today, too. Can I literally just put it anywhere in the tank? ^_^
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #27 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup, it might float for a bit if it's been out of water but it will sink eventually ^_^ And then you give it a "bath" ever two weeks or so to get all the debris off of it, squeeze it lightly and then roll it back to the ball shape and bam, good to go.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #28 
Seki

I totally feel like I need to name this moss ball. I just... I feel like it needs a name hahahaha
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #29 
Seki

Also, I picked up some silk plants that were labelled as reptile plants. Exo-Terra Jungle Plants. I'm assuming these are safe to use in my aquarium, right? As long as I rinse and possibly boil them?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They should be fine without the boil, wouldn't see why there'd be chemicals on them if lizards needed to play with them.