Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #31 
Seki

Good point! lol

Thank goodness you're here (and all the other lovely members of this forum). I have more questions than I knew and you're answering all of them. Thank you so much!!

Can't wait to show you guys pics once I get this all in place and start the cycling process. The ornaments are bigger than I thought, so I'll probably end up returning the mandrake root I have coming. Shame, it looked cool... but I love my driftwood even more.

Another question hahaha... It is alright to just boil the driftwood for about twenty minutes and put it in? I'm alright with tannins in my water, especially while it's cycling. But I wanna make sure it's clean enough to go in.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #32 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sure! You can throw it right in ^_^ I did with one of my pieces, actually it just soaked in hot water for about 8-9 hours and went right in, doesn't matter much It's not like you got it from a river or anything so there's really nothing that would be on there except maybe dust or something.

I love to answer questions so, glad that I could help out!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #33 
Seki

The tank so far! Driftwood is still boiling, and obviously I have yet to add the filter and heater and such. But this is a work in progress lol

Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #34 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Very nice so far!! love the ruins ornament! MOAR PLANTS!!! lol
Old 06-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #35 
Seki

That was the first step. Believe me, I've added more plants, a piece of driftwood (finally leached most of the tannins out after boiling for two hours and soaking for 12), the filter... now all that's left is the moss ball! Can I add in the water it is in from the store? They told me the water was from their cycled system of tanks so it would speed up my cycle... True? False?

The tank currently...
Old 06-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #36 
Shadyr

The Beneficial Bacteria don't really hang out in the water column, so no, probably nothing to be gained by using it. If they just put it in water from a community tank at the store, I'd rinse it off *really* well and maybe even QT it for a while to be sure I wasn't introducing any ickies from their tanks to my shiny pretty new tank.

(BTW, very shiny and pretty!)
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #37 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ahah, now THAT's more like it!! I'm loving it so far Your girls are going to love it too ^_^

Yeah I agree with Shadyr, rinse it under tap water and you can QT for a few days to a week if you need in Tap Water so it kills most of the little buggies or anything on it. not that I suspect that there is, but always better to be safe than sorry! And no the tap water won't kill your ball. Also you can just QT it right up with your girls once you get them since they need the minimum 2 week QT anyway.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #38 
Seki

Gotcha, gonna get my moss ball in quarantine now. I already have a place picked out for it in the tank, although I'll probably move it every time I rinse it out hahaha.

Silly me, I forgot to put the seeded gravel into the tank. But I'm too tired to mess with it right now (it's 11pm where I am), so I'll do it in the morning. At least the filter is all-but silent. I certainly need the sleep after the day I had. x_x

Thanks for the compliments, guys!! I'm pretty pleased with it, even if it was a lot of work. The driftwood is still leeching tannins, so my water is currently a light tea-color, which I rather like. ^_^ Looking forward to getting this thing cycled and stocked! I am probably going to start actively looking for girls either next week or the week after so I can quarantine them for 2 weeks and have them ready to go when the tank is. So excited!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #39 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Woohoo!! Sounds great! I love the light tea color as well, gives a rather beautiful effect I think ^_^
Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #40 
Seki

Okay, so getting the seeded gravel in... you said put some in the toe of some pantyhose (I'm just gonna rinse them out, yeah?) and just plop it in, right lilnaugrim? And then I can put it back in Hiei's tank in a few weeks?