Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #1 
feralhound

Hello all :]

Just wanted to introduce myself. The name's Ely, I'm a college graduate. I have had tropical fish and goldfish throughout my life, although I'll admit I didn't know much about it then, especially since my dad who taught me didn't know very much himself. Since I have recently acquired a 65 gallon tank from my room mate's father (who was going to throw it out from a short notice move) I've made an effort into better understanding this hobby and care for my fish that I love so much (that thank is currently in cycle with 3 African Cichlids).

Last weekend I've rescued two Bettas from a friend, who's coworker was threatening to turn them into fish sticks, or flush them. She had them in a 1/2 gallon divided Betta prison in poor conditions- one of them had velvet. Currently I have the female (I think it's a female) in a larger critter keeper until I get my 5.5 gallon, and the male who is getting over his illness still resides in his 1/2 gallon tank (now without the divider!) until his velvet is completely gone. He's loads better though, is happily swimming around instead of laying at the bottom of the tank and the gold "dusting" had disappeared yesterday when I checked on him.

I'm very excited to have these guys whom I named Fish Stix and Tartar Sauce, they're my first bettas and I'm hoping go about caring for them the correct way, and better educate myself :]
feralhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hi there! Glad you could join us

Be careful with velvet, it's very contagious and sometimes hard to treat. Even once you see the dusting gone, the parasites could still be there so keep up with 100% daily water changes for him (acclimate him back to his water) and use whatever medicine you are using

The female(?) may also have it just not exhibit signs of it, so keep a close eye on it. Can we get some pictures? I could tell you if it's a female or not could be a male Plakat.

Those are adorable names for them though! I hope they do well and hope they get better soon as well!

If you need any help or just want to talk, feel free to PM me or post any questions here on the forum ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello there Ely and welcome to the forum so nice to have you join us ! Its so wonderful you could rescue those two sick Bettas and help them out the way you are, sounds like they have had a rough life poor little fish. I know they must be so thankful you are taking such good care of them now and plan on getting a bigger tank for them to enjoy. Keep us posted on how they are doing and I hope you enjoy your time here with us and learn all you need to know about Bettas, they are awesome little fish
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #4 
Fabi

Hey,welcome to the forum.
Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #5 
feralhound

Thank you all :] Since they were both in a dual tank and shared the same water, the female was treated just in case for a bit. I think I read something that you're supposed to treat them three more times after the velvet has dissapeared, is that correct? (I've been using a chip of Jungle Ich tabs, it's what I had on hand from my other tank)

this is the best picture of Tartar Sauce I can get at the moment- I only have a phone camera and she/he moves so much!
feralhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #6 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum! I hope that they heal up well. It was very good of you to take them in!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote