Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #11 
crowntaillove3

Both of my bettas have one mystery snail in with them, and they are fine. Some bettas can have guppies in their tanks, some can't. Some can handle other fish, some can't. A 1.5 gallon tank is too small to put anything else in. If you give him a snail, then you would have to do a lot of water changes.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #12 
LizbethDawn

My two boys are next to each other and have pretty good view of each other. I started with a piece of paper between their tanks but left it out for longer periods of time and I think they've realized they can't get in to each others space because they rarely flare anymore, maybe a couple times a day but if I'm gone for say the whole day I put the paper back just in case. I wouldn't ever keep them in the same tank but they do seem to entertain each other and they are a lot more active than they were before I put the tanks next to each other.
Since you keep yours in a 1.5 maybe you could get another and a male or female whichever you like and keep them as neighbors?
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I keep mine next to each other and after awhile they ignore each other. I think over time they realize they can't get to each other.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Same thing with divided tanks (what mine are in). It's neat though, they still communicate with each other. Some fish will even become depressed when they are suddenly jarred out of the spawn tank, which is why most people use transparent containers and let them see each other.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

I read on bettatalk that even though bettas can't live together they still like to see each other.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

I don't think it's loneliness per say, but more a combination of the mental stimulation that the presence of another betta provides, as well as perhaps the security of the betta believing they are not the only fish around. Probably the more of you there are in one place, the less chance you have of being picked off by predators and the more chance you have of successfully mating.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #17 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Probably something along those lines. "Loneliness" is a human emotion, but there is substantial evidence that shows that in some circumstances being able to see other bettas is better.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #18 
sbgrn

Now he is really seeming to like the silk plant, so I'm happy that he's adjusting well, you're all right, it's only been two weeks in this tank so he needs time to adjust from his tiny pet store bowl. I'm even happier to have people out there that also love bettas. Thanks for your replies!
sbgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #19 
sbgrn

That's true, a 1.5 would be way to small for more than just him.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #20 
sbgrn

Good news, CJ is eating again, and he makes his bubbles and he putzes around the tank and through his plants... he now will eat a couple pellets a day, the eat spit eat spit way my old fish did. He will also finally enjoy one of the freezedried bloodworms now and then, he loves to attack them! I guess he just had to have time to adjust to his new surroundings. I know most of you think my 1.5 gallon is too small, but he seems to love it. Compared to the tiny cup they had him in, it's a palace haha. And look at him, with his white face he was only one of few that were left before they restocked their beta supply so I think people just didn't like him and he lived in that cup for too long.

So all good news! I thought you might like to know. Thanks again for the input, I enjoyed reading it.