Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

One gallon is fine for a betta, but bigger is better.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #12 
sbgrn

Ok gosh lots of info... I admit I had to get into the right frame of mind to answer, at first I took the info a little like a personal attack hinting that I'd rather cut corners than care for my fish. After thinking I realize it's just input to what is successful for you, and I appreciate it. I might even steal some ideas! haha

To start I hope I didn't misrepresent. Yes I used to keep my past bettas in smaller square betta tanks (and they were happy and lived long, I just got tired of cleaning them so often), but I have for CJ a rectangular 1.5 gallon tank with a filter and a light which keeps the water a consistent warm temperature and clean. I do not give him a 360 view, it's next to a wall. He does have a territory he likes best which is under the filter. I planted two tiny betta live plants on the bottom which seem to be growing well and placed one larger silk plant that he can swim all through in there as well. He seems comfortable and content, to be honest; never looks bored, enjoys exploring the bottom and making his little bubble nests all the time at the top. As for changing water, about once every two weeks I take out about a third of his water and replace it just so he has fresh water (not because it's dirty, the filter is great!) and he does not get stressed at all. I know what stress is by the complete water changes I had to do in the past with the smaller tanks. And to be clear, it is a regular rectangular tank, not a vase and not a bowl.

So I think I've succeeded in providing him with your 5 requirements!

And I promise no matter how fascinating I found the history, I do not plan to keep him in a puddle or did you say wet leaf? Thanks for the feedback, it's fun to talk to other betta lovers.
sbgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah this is a picture of a habitat belonging to a species of wild betta. The red arrow is where they found the fish.

http://www.aquarticles.com/images/Mi...otopebrown.jpg

Bettas can be pretty extreme fish.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #14 
sbgrn

Now that's cool history, thanks!
sbgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I am mindful that many (most?) keepers like to build their tank into an object that they can take pleasure in viewing.

That's usually easier to achieve in a larger- than- minimum tank.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I am mindful that many (most?) keepers like to build their tank into an object that they can take pleasure in viewing.

That's usually easier to achieve in a larger- than- minimum tank.
Water quality is also easier to achieve in a larger- than- minimum tank, although this has already been mentioned. Pretty much, for any fish, a larger- than- minimum tank is just more enjoyable in almost every way...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #17 
Betta Bonnie

Betta tank size

I have 6 Betta's, all in 2.5 gallon tanks with heaters. They are bare bottomed, because I use a turkey Baster to suck up any waist or uneaten food twice a day. Two have filters, I change 50% of their water every 2 to 2 1/2 days. The ones with filters constantly have the same readings as the ones without. I really don't like the filters and don't think they are needed. All my Betta's are healthy and Happy. I have a 18 gallon community tank that is cycled. I do not think it is important to cycle Betta tanks, but it is important to do frequent water changes. Just my point of view, what do you think?
Betta Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #18 
Ilikebutterflies

IME I have found a 10 gallon tank to be by far the best size. A few reasons: if you start with a small tank you will want a larger one. 10 gallons seems to be the threshold of budget vs space. 10 gallon tanks are extremely cheap. Brand new they are $10. You can often find a used complete set up for $20. You can have a high light output 10 gallon tank without spending any extra money. Bigger tanks require fancier and vastly more expensive lighting systems. This gives you the option of supporting many of the fancier plants.
10 gallon tanks are very user & kid friendly. They are easy to cycle, easy to clean and easy to upgrade. They don't take up much room either. I currently have 5 10 gallon tanks, a few 29 gallon tanks that I plan on taking apart and cutting down into 20ish gallon longs and had a 55 gallon tank for several years. I also have a 200 gallon aquaponic tank. Honestly I get the most enjoyment out of the 10 gallon tanks!
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #19 
waterdog

I have a 2.5, three 5's, a 40, a 75, and a 200 gal. pond. All are filtered. I also have a 10, a 20, and a 30 unused in my shed.

For bettas my favorite by far are the 5's. I have a marineland hex 5 with the built in filter which is my favorite. The other 5's have sponge filters. I do a 50% water change once a week and everyne is healthy and my water is perfect. The size allows me to put them just about anywhere I want them and they show the bettas perfectly without wasted space.

I have studied water and filtration for almost 15 years and I prefer cycled water for it's quality, ease of care, and low stress to the fish.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote