Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #1 
Scarlett

Betta Lived For 3 Days And Then Died !

Hey there,

So far I have had two negative experiences with betta fish but I love them so much.

The first was a red betta fish that my fiancee bought for me, she was gorgeous and I named her Sparky. She wouldn't eat the flakes or any other type of food so she ended up dying.

Then on the 22nd of December of this year we tried again, we bought a beautiful blue/green half-moon betta fish. He was absolutely stunning. We named him Jazz. We had him for three days and at first he seemed really happy, active. But then on the second day I noticed he stayed near the top of the water. Yesturday he swam to the bottom of the tank and just stayed still. Jazz had died.

I called the petstore demanding to know why this poor little fish died, when I had checked and rechecked that I had done everything right. He said to just bring the fish in and he would exchange it for another one.

But I need pointers on what to look for. He says the store only has one half-moon left, a blue-green one. But Im worried if I get this fish, will it just happen again? I dont want my fiancee broken hearted.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience with your bettas. We need to know a little more info plerase. What size tank do you have or is it a small bowl? Did you condition the water first? If you had them in a tank, was it cycled? Heated and filtered? Hopefully, we can find out what the problem is.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #3 
Scarlett

It was a Marina Betta Kit 3L Zen, not filtered. I conditioned the water and then put him in. I had a little LED light over the top of it. The water was just room temperature. He didnt eat much of his food.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #4 
fishman09
Banned

if you had him in to big of a tank with to much water movement that could of stressed him to much, also when you purchas one, dont look for the prettiest look for the one that is most active
fishman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

A heater would probably help. What were you feeding him and how much?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #6 
Kim

Welcome to fishforum! Well, 3 liters is not enough water for a betta. Most people consider 2.5 gallons to be the minimum. I like to keep mine in no less than 5 gallons. Ammonia will build up very quickly and can easily become lethal in such a small container. Bettas also need a heater to keep the water a constant 78-80 degrees. When you do water changes you should use a good conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramines. I recommend that you also research the aquarium cycle or nitrogen cycle to give you a better idea of what actually is going on in your betta's water. Once you have a better understanding of betta care, all you really need is to buy from a reputable source. And, as a bonus, having a well cared for happy betta is going to be much more rewarding because their personality will really be able to shine. Bettas really are amusing little fish!!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #7 
bxtorr19

Poor Fish

First what type of water did you use? Some local tap water has very high levels of chlorine and floride, both of which are harmful to fish. If you find that is the case, then try using a Britta to filter the water or buy bottled Betta water at your pet store. As for tank set up, I don't care what they tell you in the store or how much they push those silly little bowls, the general rule of thumb for a tank is a gallon of water per inch of fish you have. So If you plan on buying a Betta that is 2 inches long then you need a 2 1/2 gallon tank at least to account for a little growth. Do not just feed them those tropical fish flakes. Betta's are a mostly carnivorious fish so they need a mixture of Betta pellets, freeze dried brine shrimp, and live blood worms. The flakes are mostly plant matter and are only good if he gets bloat or constipated. Do not feed them every day. Most people over feed their Betta's which shorten thier lives and makes them fat. Instead feed them every other day. There will be enough residue in the water to keep them from starving. I also have a small filter to keep the water clean and from having to do frequent partial water changes which can shock and kill your new baby. Hope this helps!!!!
bxtorr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

A 2 and 1/2 gallon, heated, filtered tank is usually what is reccommended. Water conditioner should be used in their water. Bettas should be fed every day. Most people feed theirs twice a day, 2 pelets in the morning and 2 in the evening. Freeze dried and frozen food should be fed as once or twice a week treats.