Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #1 
lariboo

Exclamation Please Respond ASAP! Thanks! (Swim Bladder/Constipation?)

Hello! So today we went to PetCo to look for some silk plants to prepare our tank for a new Betta. I recently had a Betta, Amo, but he passed away for some unknown reasons. Well, we were looking at the Betta fish and I saw one swimming on his side sometimes. My fiance' tried to tell me that they were probably helping him and he would be fine. So I told an employee, who instead of helping the fish, shook the cup, saying 'he was sleeping'. Well, then the fish went back to his side, attempting to swim down at times. He would sometimes look like he was able to swim. Well, immediately I was mad and grabbed him and bought him. I know he may not make it, but I would like to do whatever I can to help him.

So, we have a 10 gallon tank, with a heater and low current filter. It has been cycling for a couple weeks, but still not ready we found out. So we are doing a few more water changes and they said it should be good from then on.

Well, we put the new betta in his cup floating in a large glass fish bowl that we have. We put stress coat and stress zyme in the water, and he is just floating in his little store bowl, hopefully adjusting to the water.

We were wondering if there was any advice on what to do to help him? I heard to not feed him for a couple days then try a canned pea? I asked the guy at my own pet store downtown, and he never heard of that, said that was for goldfish. He said not feeding him may help, or not do anything.

The fish looks fine though. He swims fine and breathes fine. Just floats to the top and on his side and cannot swim down if he tries.

The man said to take him back to PetCo, but I really just want to give the fish a chance. I understand he may not make it, just want to know any advice. I hope I can get some before I add him to the bowl.

Thank you!
lariboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would fast him for a day or two, then try a bite of a pea.You can use canned or frozen. Frozen daphnia is good too. Good luck. I had something similar happen to me one time at a petstore. I saw a fish floating at the top of his cup and told a girl in the fish department that the fish looked sick. She shook the cup and said there's nothing wrong with him!

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-26-2008 at 04:34 PM.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 AM   #3 
lariboo

Well, we fasted him for his first day home.
And then we found a large defecation at the top of his tank, and he was swimming quite well after that.
He seems find now.
Maybe a little bored, but only about 2 more days til he can have his 10 gallon tank, because the cycling should be over.
Then he will have caves, plants, and 3 community fish, Bob, Bob Jr, and Fluffy. *Don't ask, hehe*
We fed him a little the next day, after 2 days of fasting, and he ate it.
And then we waited another full day for a small amount.
So everything seems to be fine.
I am so happy he is better.
So much better off here than at that store, being shaken like a worthless nothing!

Thanks again, everyone!
Very helpful, as usual. :}
Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad to hear that he's doing better:) He'll be fine with all the tlc he's getting. And I'm sure he'll love his new tank when he gets moved into it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #5 
Kim

Great that you saved him!!! I don't know the temp. of your house, but I'm going to guess that it is lower than 78 degrees ;) I'd float the entire bowl in the heated 10 gallon until the cycle is finished. It'll just make him a little more comfortable. If he's anything like my guys, he'll entertain you for quite some time exploring his new home and flaring at things :) Have fun!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #6 
fishman09
Banned

When you are purchasing a betta always look for the ones that are the most active then choose the one you like the most,
fishman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #7 
bxtorr19

Good for you, you saved a baby!!!! My nephew is the manager of the fish department of the local Petco and he has a fit when the kids don't take care of the Betta's right. It sounds like your little guy was constipated and and you did the right thing. Most pet stores only feed the Betta's the tropical flakes which are all vegetable matter and can bind baby up. Al makes sure all the Betta's he works with get the Betta pellets which are protien and better for them. You can keep and eye out for other fish abuse and report it to the main company. They will come and send in secret shoppers to investigate if the fish and small animals are being mistreated.
bxtorr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:56 AM   #8 
lariboo

Oh, I should report it.
He had no idea what to do with a fish that is sick.
Shake the bowl?
Common sense!

Yes, I should have picked a healthy one, but I could not let him die there.
He is doing very well right now.
And we are getting the water checked tomorrow.
-crosses fingers-
Hopefully we can add him to his new home with his 3 little fish friends.

So I can float the glass bowl in the tank for now?
As long as it won't break, that sounds nice.

I actually keep it really warm in here, and just open my bedroom window.
I thought that would make him more comfortable.
But I am sure it is not 80 in here.
Well, who knows.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 AM   #9 
lariboo

Thanks also for all the replies.
Reddy appreciates it.
=}
Old 12-31-2008, 07:48 AM   #10 
Kim

Yeah, the bowl won't break. You'll probably need to find some way to attach it to the side so it doesn't flip over though. Good luck, and just do you know I tend to get the sickly ones too!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote