Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #1 
rees

Question Questions about lighting...

Okay, my betta fish lives in my bedroom. Unfortunately, I have an issue with windows and therefore, my room has no window and is in the basement, so there is no natural light in my room. My betta is fine so far, but I'm concerned the lack of natural light will have a negative effect on my betta. He gets artificial light for a strict 8hrs/day minimum, but is that enough? What are my options here? I've only had him for a day or so and I've had betta's before that lived upwads of 4 years. Will this affect his life span?

Also:
I have never bought a betta that I felt sorrier for. He was kind of sickly and sluggish but the most lively of all the bettas at my local Petsmart. When I put him in the new water, he perked right up, but he still isn't eating very much. His coloring is already starting to enhance, so I'm not really that worried. (Except for the other bettas that I was forced to leave at the store... There were two dead beta fish out of 6 total there and the others weren't looking that healthy either...)
rees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:15 AM   #2 
fishman09
Banned

thats sad, i hate it when there is dead bettas in the cup, but im not sure about the light thing, try it out for a while, and if he seems to get worse the give him natural light and see. thats all i can reccomend
fishman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #3 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I wouldn't be worried about the lack of "natural" light. As long as he has light (which you are providing) he should be fine. A good range to aim for is anywhere from 6 to 12 hours for a freshwater fish only set up. My betta tanks get 12 hours on and 12 hours off which is more appropriate for my tanks as they are planted. Even if they weren't planted I'd still do the 12 on/12 off schedule. I feel that's more to the Earth's "schedule", hence better and more natural for my fish. It sounds like your taking good care of your boy!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote