Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #1 
chancey

My betta has ich?

I received a betta as a gift about a week or two ago. He came in a half gallon bowl, but I'm moving him to a much larger tank after I cycle it. I noticed today that he has small white spots on both sides of his tail, and that he often has his top fin folded. I have not noticed any decrease in activity, he's constantly moving around and building his bubble nest, he eats ravenously, but I'm worried about him.

What can I do for him now?
http://i41.tinypic.com/ncz9tx.jpg - best picture I could get of him. The flash makes the spots blend in, but it's pretty obvious when you see him in RL, especially on the other side.

His name is Belez, by the way.
-chancey
chancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #2 
fishman09
Banned

just go to the pet store and you can buy a treatment for ick, it is very cheap, read how much to put in, but make sure your betta will have over two gallons of water, with very low water movement
fishman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #3 
chancey

Is there any brand of medicine in particular that you recommend, or will just anything do?
Sorry for all the questions, I've never really had to deal with a sick fish.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #4 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I've used Kordon's Rid-Ich with success. I'm not 100% sure you're dealing with ich here. Hard to tell from the photos but ich usually presents itself as little white spots all over the fish, not just the tail. It'll look like specs of salt on the fish. He's not behaving any differently which is good. When a fish has ich they will flash or rub themselves up against things. Have you noticed any rubbing or flashing behavior??
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

There is one called Ick Guard by Jungle that also guards against secondary infections and you don't need to raise the water temperature. For 1 gallon dosage, squirt one teaspoon of Ick Guard into ten teaspoons of water.Add one teaspoon of this per 1 gallon of water.After day one dosage, change 25% of the water and repeat dosage daily until ick is gone. This dosage info came from Healthybetta.com.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #6 
chancey

Yesterday before I went to bed I noticed he was flashing a bit. It seems like he's doing it more frequently today.

I can't for the life of me get a good enough picture of him to show the spots, but on the right side, there are clusters of little white spots in the area where the tail connects to the body. It looks like the pictures of the beginning stages that I saw. I may very well be overreacting, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Would it hurt to just wait and see if it spreads or is it better to treat him for it even if he doesn't have it?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #7 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

If he's flashing it's most likely ich. It certainly sounds like ich and I would begin treatment rather than wait. Follow the dosing instructions on the bottle to the letter. Good luck!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #8 
JHK30

Mostly any ick meds work.
it could be labeled ick or ich on the bottle.
JHK30 is offline   Reply With Quote