Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #1 
fishyinpa

Question Stability or SafeStart (formerly Biospira)

Well I wanna get this cycling thing started already for my fishy cause doing water changes everyday is getting old fast lol. So i was at petsmart and saw this stuff called Stability by SeaChem. Im wondering if anyone has tried it,does it work,is it really safe to use with fish in the tank,should i use anything with it? Other than the water conditioner. They had this stuff called Prime but im told it makes ya tank water smell awful. So skip that lol. A friend told me about Amquel+ supposed to help cut down nitrates,nitrites and ammonia as well. Does using both of those in conjunction sound okay? i really would love to set up my 2.5 but i ran outta outlets to plug in the filter. Also i saw this stuff called Tetra Safe Start apparently it used to be the refigerated Biospira for freshwater. Is that any better? Also my ammonia levels keep going up. It was up pretty high the other day,like a 4 i think. I got it down to .5 but today its back up to between 1 and 2. I will do a 25% wc,condition the water of course,put in new water then the stability. Does that sound right? I really would love to just stick my filter on my sisters tank let it run for a while but Im not sure of the parameters of her water. She doesnt test it at all,so im afraid its not good. The fish have been in there a good while though (like almost a year or so) so im assuming its cycled by now but she isnt religious with wcs,so its not always good water they are in. So if i can do it from a bottle without hurting Fishy thatd be great,cause im not sure of her fishes health. Thanks for anyone who answers and doesnt mind my long posts.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:47 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I can't answer your other questions but about the water conditioner. I have also heard that Prime stinks. I use Tetra Aquasafe and it works pretty good. Also, I think you are supposed to use Amquel with NovAqua. I'm going on an aquarium book hunt tomorrow. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:07 AM   #3 
onefish2fish

i personally would keep doing what your doing and not try to make a chemical soup.

i would add the filter to her tank as well, even though its most likely high in nitrates it still will have the benificial bacteria your after to seed your filter pad.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #4 
fishyinpa

Oh okay thanks.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #5 
fishyinpa

Heh me again. Just wondering how long should i leave the filter on my sisters tank? Seems to be a few different opinions on it,so im not sure. I read 6 weeks then others say 2 weeks is sufficient. Im thinking of going for 4 weeks lol just to be in between.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:11 AM   #6 
Tyyrlym

First off, yes Prime stinks, if you put your nose on top of the open bottle and take a big drag it's not a pleasant smell. Dose you water with the appropriate amount and you'll never smell it. Just don't huff it and you're fine.

Is your sister running a filter on her tank? If so you can use a piece of filter foam or something from her's to seed your filter. If you're going to run yours on her tank, well I'd leave it there for two weeks at a minimum. After that when ever you want take it off and use it. The big thing about cycling is getting those first few bacteria who survived the chemical attack at the water treatment plant to reproduce and get a good sized colony going. After that they can grow in size rapidly. Letting your filter marinate in her tank for a couple weeks will get it well seeded and your tank should cycle rapidly.
Tyyrlym is offline   Reply With Quote