Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #11 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFran View Post
Can you get one of those hammock leaves or another plant or decor item and put it where the dead lily leaf was? That way he'd be happy and you wouldn't be stressed.
I could, but there is no pet store anywhere near here and it will take about 2 weeks for me to get one off the internet. Yes, I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere if you consider a tourist ski town in the middle of the mountains the boonies.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #12 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBettaSplendensLover View Post
You could probably just ditch the filter, but you'll have to start doing 100% water changes every couple weeks.
I have too many live plants in the tank, 100% water changes wouldn't be so good for them.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #13 
sainthogan

I am planning on getting him a hammock. But since it will be a while, I think for now, I will take the filter out when I leave town, and then since I will be near a pet store then, I will buy the hammock and put it in place when I get back. Hopefully, some more of his Lilly plant will grow back and offer more suitable hiding places. In the meantime, I will just keep a close eye on him.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

Can you put something behind the filter, so it fills up the space? Maybe wedge a sponge or something behind it?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #15 
BettaFran

I would worry about removing the filter. That's a lot of bacteria lost at one time. It would possibly be like starting all over.
What about this? Can you get one of those suction cup hooks, that are all plastic and that you press in then lock in place by pulling hook down? You can get them from a department store. If you put it with the base of the hook facing up, like an upside down u, and put it where the leaf was maybe that would be enough for him to rest on? (Just be sure to file off any rough edges before putting in tank).
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #16 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFran View Post
I would worry about removing the filter. That's a lot of bacteria lost at one time. It would possibly be like starting all over.
What about this? Can you get one of those suction cup hooks, that are all plastic and that you press in then lock in place by pulling hook down? You can get them from a department store. If you put it with the base of the hook facing up, like an upside down u, and put it where the leaf was maybe that would be enough for him to rest on? (Just be sure to file off any rough edges before putting in tank).
Yeah, that occurred to me after I wrote my post. I'll see what I can do. He can still sit in the place where the leaf was, there's just no leaf in front of it to hide him anymore. I've had more trouble keeping plants alive in his tank. Yet, in his tank neighbor's tank, her plants are flourishing like crazy. Same exact set up in both tanks, the only difference is she doesn't suffer from chronic constipation like he does.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #17 
BettaFran

You could maybe make a "leaf" out of some black plastic trash bag and attach that to the plastic hook. Both should be ok for shirt period of time. Anyway, hope something feasible works out for you. Keep us posted.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #18 
sainthogan

And so it turns out the sneaky little guy could get out from behind the filter all along and was just giving me a heart attack for fun. Figures. At least now I know he'll be ok when I leave in a few weeks.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #19 
BettaFran

These crazy fish of ours! And the things we do for them! Gotta wonder who's in control, eh? Glad you discovered his little game. Now go and enjoy your time away free from worries :D