Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #1 
eden000

Smile Meet Romeo! Or is it Juliet?

After Sev unfortunately passed a way a few days ago (I tried to do everything I could, but he went from bad to worse very quickly), I decided to take everything I've learned and get back on the bike, as it were!

So everyone, meet ROMEO! I was wondering if anyone could could give me some advice as to his breed, age, and even gender... He was advertised at the store as a "Dumbo ear" betta. Is this right? I can't get him to flare at his reflection, but I'm not sure if this is just because he's too young or something.

I fell in love with him so quickly at the store, so I got him a very nicely decorated 2.5g tank and heater.

Last edited by eden000; 06-07-2013 at 03:10 PM.
eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #2 
Canis

I'm not sure about gender/type, but he is Dumbo/EE ^^ Very cute!!!
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #3 
eden000

Cool! Thanks! I know, he's so tiny and sweet... He was so excited when I put him in a little 1 gal bowl while waiting for his tank to be ready :D
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #4 
Rana

The short ventrals plus the body shape make me think female, and as for tail type, I think I see at least four rays, so not a veil tail and s/he's obviously not a CT. Maybe a delta/super delta, or a plakat. I am definitely no expert though!

About how big is s/he, from nose to the start of the tail? That will be the biggest clue as to age, but I'd say around two months based on how well developed the fins/color seem to be. This site has a good growth chart: http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/bettagrowth.html
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually looks like a male Plakat to me, red salamander coloring. Since we can't actually see the ventral fins it's hard to tell. But the body is longer and 'stockier' females have a graceful curve from their stomach and up to the tail where males are more "straight", just like in humans. But of course sometimes they break those "rules" just like we do lol

But I'm inclined to say Male Plakat, most likely HM. With some adequate water changes and some Stress Coat those fins will help up nicely
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

He/she is very pretty!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #7 
eden000

Ooh, from that website I'd say he (I'm just going to call him a he) is around nine weeks. The level of fin development also looks similar.

Will it be easier to tell what he is when he's older? I couldn't see an "egg spot", but his belly is white right now so it would probably be hard to tell. His ventral fins are very short and he usually keeps them up against his tummy.

Thanks Dramaqueen!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

It might be easier to tell when he's older. Can you get him to flare?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #9 
eden000

He wouldn't flare earlier, but I think I saw a mini flare at his reflection. It wasn't a full one, though.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Even still, young males will have imitator ovipositer's or egg spots, just to confuse us more lol and flaring isn't always a great way either although sometimes you can tell. But one of my girls, Mystique, you would have thought she was a male when she flared and I almost kept second guessing myself until she dropped eggs one day lol
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote