Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #11 
eden000

Oh my goodness! I didn't know that it was as confusing as that! He was listed in the pet store as a male betta, but I have no idea how they could have known that, really.
eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They generally come in sexed already although sometimes you get a young male with an imitator ovipositer and they're like "oh look it's a female because it's got an egg spot" lol but usually they're pretty decent at putting them in the right cups after that. I believe they come in little baggies and are all marked from what I hear

However he still looks like a Romeo to me, the body shape is too 'squarish' to be female. Of course that's me and my totally scientific talk lol <---total sarcasm there XD
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #13 
eden000

Haha so scientific! Well I'm just going to call him Romeo... If he turns out to be a girl, I'm going to assert that she is a tomboy! :P
eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #14 
OrangeAugust

Yeah, I think it's a male. Like others said, it's the body shape, but also the tail. It looks like a tail that's growing out- like it's ruffly rather than young females I've seen whose tails stay pretty much the same shape when they "grow up"... except for my spade tail. she looked like a veiltail when I first got her.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

@OrangeAugust: Actually Spade tails are just a variation of VT. Almost all spades these days are just veiltails with a bit of the spade trait but they are not wide enough to be considered spades. Sorry to rain on your parade but your girl is most likely just a longer finned VT.

And actually Romeo's tail will probably always be like that, the length I mean. He looks like a plakat EE so his fins will stay relatively short, they'll grow out a bit as he get's older and heal up but they'll never be like a long finned boy.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #16 
OrangeAugust

But her tail is so pointy at the end...
Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Doesn't matter, it's not the point it's the width at the end. I also have a VT girl with the spade trait but if they flare and the base of the tail doesn't reach almost 180 degree's and spread outwards, it's not a spade tail. I'm sorry, I was excited with my girl too. But no one breed's Spades anymore because they don't breed true meaning you can't breed two spades and get mostly spades. More than 3/4's of them will just come out VT's.

I really do wish someone would start working with them again though, I love that tail so much!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #18 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Doesn't matter, it's not the point it's the width at the end. I also have a VT girl with the spade trait but if they flare and the base of the tail doesn't reach almost 180 degree's and spread outwards, it's not a spade tail. I'm sorry, I was excited with my girl too. But no one breed's Spades anymore because they don't breed true meaning you can't breed two spades and get mostly spades. More than 3/4's of them will just come out VT's.

I really do wish someone would start working with them again though, I love that tail so much!

Hmm... the wide part of her tail is probably like 170 degrees. look at the last pic in this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=198690
Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #19 
Kiara1125

I would fatten him/her up and see where it goes from there. I had a &quot;female VT&quot; turn into a male PK. It took him about 4 months to show his true colors to me. He went from white to a dark red cambodian. I had him in a community tank, but I wasn't positive of his gender until I tried to put him in a sorority. Oops ... lol Anyways, like the others said, the fins make it look like a male, IMO. The dorsal fin and the anal fin makes me think that s/he is a plakat. I have three PKs and s/he looks similar to them.

Last edited by Kiara1125; 06-10-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

@Orange, your two spades look like young male VT's to me. The blue one is very close to being a real spade but it's still not wide enough, they end up almost like a round tail with a point is what you're looking for.