Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #21 
OrangeAugust

edit: I'm going to PM you, lilnaugrim, so I don't keep hijacking this thread.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 06-10-2013 at 09:10 AM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
:o young males? I've had the blue one for about 8 months... wouldn't it have longer fins by now if it was a male? She also still has an egg spot. Which other one are you referring to? The red one? I've had her for about 4 months... I haven't looked for an egg spot recently, though. Is 4 months+ still young enough to be a male who looks like a female?
I think I did question the gender of the blue one on here before because her ventrals are so long and because of the shape of her anal fin, also, I thought her body shape was more streamlined than a female, but the consensus was that she's a female, so idk...

sorry, OP, for kind of hijacking your thread.
Yeah, sorry, I tend to hijack threads >< my bad!!

It's possible for them to change to their true gender at pretty much any point. Egg spots are still not a good indicator that it's a female. Many males can have an imitator ovipositer, most will lose it a month or so after maturity I find but I think some can hold onto theirs for quite a while.

Yeah I was looking at the red one too, the fins seem much too long, although I also have two longer finned females as well, one I know is female because I can clearly see ovaries and the other has dropped eggs before. But I was looking at the body and the point of the anal and all. It is completely possible that they are both just long finned females, they just say 'male' to me is all they're all beautiful though ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #23 
eden000

It's okay; it was an interesting read for me too. Being so new to bettas, I feel I have a ton to learn!
eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #24 
OrangeAugust

Hehe I just PM'd you so we wouldn't hijack the thread anymore and then I saw you replied here.
Ok, thanks. I'll keep an eye on them, then. I just put them together with 5 more females, and they seem to all be doing ok, but I'll keep an eye on these two to make sure there's no excessive aggression with them.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha yup, I replied to that as well XD

Make sure to QT every time you want to add more fish, they could be carrying diseases that you don't know about. It's much easier to treat one fish rather than a whole tank!

And for those who can't read my PM that I sent, I did explain that Orange's blue girl does indeed look like a female, just very long fins. Most likely parents were DT and VT or had their genes to make the fins long. The anal fin slants from the front to the back, that's a very female trait. The red girl however, the ventrals are both very long and the anal fin is more box like and is pointed at the end. That one is looking more like a young male to me because the anal fin looks like it's going to get longer and the body still has plenty of growing left to do. Probably grew up in either an overstocked tank with it's siblings or spent too long in a cup that stunted the growth for now.

Betta's can be super confusing as we've all seen! Some females end up being males after a while when they decided that it's time to stop being a teenager and get to adulthood haha Just like in humans, sometimes it takes a little longer to mature! And some, you just never stop guessing with them XD
Old 06-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #26 
eden000

Just an update on my little guy: I've only had him for about 3 days, but his colors are starting to get much deeper! Fins are turning more of a deep red color - I'm hoping that this indicates he's happy in his new home! ^^

Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #27 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup! Deepening of their color means they are enjoying their clean and healthy water. If you want to heal his fins because they are torn, you can use Stress Coat water conditioner to help. Not sure if I or anyone else mentioned that before. Stress Coat contains aloe which will help repair fins which I think I mentioned in the PM lol sorry, I get mixed up sometimes! He looks so cute though!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #28 
eden000

Yep, I'm going to use Stress coat when I do the 100% WC today. I also put it in when first setting up his tank. It's really more of a preventative, though... his fins look a bit rough in the pictures, but they are by no means "torn" in person :)

He is SO cute. Yesterday he was chilling in his betta log, and I wanted to feed him. He really reacts to my voice, and when I shook his food container a bit he poked his head out of the side of the log to find a pellet on the top, which he literally attacked.

He's also very photogenic. *bragging mommy over here*

Old 06-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #29 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ahaha cute! Yeah I notice that mine react to sounds as well, they love when I play music for them as well! Only certain types though XD it's too cute
Old 06-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #30 
Kiara1125

Music? Oh yeah. My bettas love listening to the radio and they like rock music. :D

Your boy is very cute!
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote