Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #1 
fishyinpa

Exclamation cycling..is it possible?

Hmm well i just had a thought but dunno if it would work or if the fish place would do it. But anyways,Kim said i should cycle my 2.5 with my current filter then once its all done,put it in the 5 and good to go. Well I might still do that,but just wondering if its possible to put my filter on someone elses tank (with healthy fish and cycled obviously) let it hang out in there for i dunno quite awhile for it to cycle and then put it on mine? I would ask my sister and put it on hers but well...she doesnt take good care of her fish so I dont think i wanna do that. At least at the fish place they test their waters every day. Just a thought. How long is too long for the filter to be outta water till it gets to its new tank? Else can i get some filter media (that would fit in mine) and do something that way? Or is that still cycling with a fish lol. I dont wanna do anything that could potentially kill my fishy. So if anyone can help thatd be great. Sorry for all the posts and questions. I just wanna do whats best for my fish. Thanks alot!!!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #2 
fishyinpa

Ah well i just read that most fish places dont cycle their tanks,so thats probably a no then! But,I do recall them telling people that their tanks *have* to be cycled to have fish in it...so maybe they do at this one??? I hope lol. They do have a few established tanks other than the fish they just sell. Hmmm...I think i will still ask. Doesnt hurt to ask eh? Im just talking to myself now but thats okay haha ill be back later to see if anyone responded....:)
Old 12-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #3 
Kim

Yes, if you let the filter cycle on an established tank that would cycle it, especially if you only have one betta. I just put a used filter sponge into the filter on my 10 gallon and it has stayed cycled. Just make sure that whichever tank you use is healthy (no diseased fish) because you don't want any bad bacteria or parasites to make it to your tank. I'd let it hang on there for at least a week.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #4 
fishyinpa

ah yeah. sis said i can put it on hers. last time her fish were sick was many many months ago,so should that be okay? How long can the filter be off of a tank till it gets to the new one? Cause its a 30 minute drive to her place,it wouldnt dry out by then will it lol. Unless i just buy a sponge filter put that in hers....but same deal...lol....hmm...i might just do that...whats another plug eh lol....
Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

You could put a bit of tank water in a bucket or some container and put the filter in it to keep it from drying out.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #6 
rugie
Banned

to transport the filter just keep the filter media covered with tank water.
rugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #7 
fishyinpa

ah okay thanks! Im taking my filter up to her place now. Ill let ya know how it goes.