Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #1 
The Betta Guy

Smile New Betta Tank :)

Im looking to upgrade my current betta bowl to a marineland eclipse hex 5 gallon tank kit. i comes with a filter, lighting and hood, and everything else i need. but i was wondering what else i can put with the betta with just 5 gallons
i was hoping to get a few small fish like maybe livebearers.

**** I was wondering if there are any type of small algae eaters or even frogs i can put in my betta tank ? ****

THX
The Betta Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #2 
mgarch

you can put african dwarf frogs in with them. corys work well too. As for other fish, it depends on how mellow your betta is. If it doesnt seem aggressive then go for it. Tetras might work too but sometimes they can nibble at your bettas fins.
mgarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #3 
FlipShady 23

With just 5 gallons, your options are very limited. For algae eaters, you can get a mystery snail which they sell at Petsmart/ Petco. You could probably get 2 African Dwarf frogs like the previous poster mentioned. You might be able to get away with 2 male guppies (livebearers). Hopefully, someone else can chime in.

Note: FYI, do not house these suggestions altogether with your betta. It's either your betta AND 2 african dwarf frogs OR 2 male guppies OR mystery snail. You could probably group the snail with the frogs OR guppies.

I have a Trooper in a 5 gallon standard tank with a snail. I'm setting up a 10 gallon tank for him to move in with his snail buddy and possibly get 2-3 African dwarf frogs.
FlipShady 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #4 
The Betta Guy

Smile Top fin 5.5 gallon aquarium starter kit

What about this tank for a betta and maybe a a few other fish?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
The Betta Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #5 
Briz

That tank is only 5.5 gallons, so the same rules apply as for 5 gallon sized tanks. Besides the options suggested by FlipShady, you could try some ghost shrimp.

You'd really need a 10 gallon or larger if you wanted to start opening up more options for tankmates for a betta.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #6 
Aconyte

The only thing is a lot of these suggestions, aside from the frogs and snail, are schooling fish and require anywhere from 3-6 of their own kind to be happy. Also, don't get anything with flashy fins such as fancy guppies as your betta will view them as a territorial threat and will kill them.

Last edited by Aconyte; 06-11-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Aconyte is offline   Reply With Quote