Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #1 
rebafan111

Just got my Betta Fish!

Hello all, i just got my Betta fish today!, I got all of the right stuff i am just worried about 1 thing, the tank i got him in. it looks small in the picture.
Behind in plant he gots lots of room, i found him behind there some times

http://gyazo.com/3b739ba9f8c2c287dc3f03bd03eef5bb (Picture)

Is that a bad setup?

Last edited by rebafan111; 06-08-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Forgot the pic!
rebafan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #2 
futurevet

How many gallons is it? It looks really small, a lot of people recommend 2.5 gallons. It should be heated and filtered too. I like the gravel, and pretty betta too! :)
futurevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #3 
rebafan111

It is Almost a Gallon, there tank is ALOT and i mean ALOT bigger than what the pet store had the poor guy in, it is just a temp tank for about a month, i am just seeing if you guys think hell be happy in there for a month. he has loads of room to swim
Old 06-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #4 
futurevet

The cups that pet stores sell them in are not permanent homes for the betta, they are only in there until the fish is bought. My fish is in a 10 gallon tank and I am pretty sure he would love an even bigger tank! Even if you think that he has a lot of room to swim, he would really really really like a bigger tank. Also, the plants and gravel take up room for him to swim in. I would say as soon as possible, get him into a bigger tank at least 2.5 gallons, but bigger is definitely better. You will notice a difference in how active and happy your betta is! A heater is also needed for bettas, they need about 79 degree water to be really happy. But for now, I would do water changes daily to keep him healthy. :)
futurevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #5 
peachii

A gallon tank is plenty big enough for a betta to live in happily. Just make sure you do daily or every other day water changes and monitor the temp of the water, you don't want it getting warm and cold with changes in the weather or air conditioner. If you see the temp changes a lot through out the day you can pick up a small heater from somewhere. Betta's like to hide and lay on items, so you decor in the tank is just fine. He looks like a happy fish :)
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #6 
rebafan111

Can you get a Small heater cause i don't want this big old thing cover half of his swimming path, and atm he seems Very happy!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #7 
LizbethDawn

I would agree with peachii except that's not a whole gallon it's almost a gallon and it's got gravel, decor, and it's not tipy top full so it's probably about half a gallon of water if that. If you don't want to spend money on a tank get a 2 or 3 gallon critter keeper and a heater.

You can click the picture to go to the page on Petco's site for that critter keeper. A medium is $10 and should be a good size. Once you pick that up just ask a person in the store where the heaters for tanks less than five gallons are. Aqueon, Hydor, and Tetra all make one for that size and I'm sure others do too.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "almost a gallon"? Is it like, 3/4 gallon? It looks really small...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu

First, welcome to the forum! Keeping Bettas is a learning experience and you're starting off right by asking questions.

Since it's temporary, your beautiful Betta should be fine as long as you do frequent water changes. Long-term, probably not so much. If it were my tank, I'd remove either the rock or the plants; or, sit the rock on its side to give him more uninterrupted swimming room.

Have fun and keep asking!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #10 
rebafan111

I went out this morning and got the heater. Since that he attitude has changed alot!