Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #1 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sick & tired of sick Bettas!

Ohhhh, I'm so tired of always having a sick Betta! The one girl I thought was recovering isn't, she now has full dropsy, still in QT. I moved another VERY bloated girl to QT & she still hasn't pooed & its been almost a week & yes she's in Epsom salt which I'll bump up the dosage & see if that helps. The other day one of my males looked bloated & is not eating, today I see white poo! AARGH! Another male has had fin rot since his 10g tank sprang a leak & I had to do an emergency move with him. After theses illnesses play themselves out I will not be replacing the Bettas if they don't make it. I just don't get it & I'm oh so frustrated. **BIG Sigh** Anyways doing what I can to save them, saying a little prayer & keeping my fingers crossed.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #2 
LizbethDawn

I feel your pain. You remember with my boy it was one thing after another. SBD, the mystery wound, and then finrot to top it all off.

I wish you the best of luck with yours and I hope it doesn't make you swear off these fun little fish.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #3 
Jexx

we are all in the same boat. Got a girl with dropsy for 2 full weeks now, a male with velvet AND finrot. Lost 3 guppies to 3 different things. I feel like if any of these fish die, I don't think I'm going to replace them. just use their empty tanks as grow out tanks for guppy and platy fry >
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #4 
WDW Donna

I get your frustration. My daughter received a betta from school, one year,it was the class pet. We did nothing special, it lived in a 1.5gal tank and had no heater, didn't even do the proper water changes. It lived for 2 years. Ever since when we buy a new betta we follow the proper procedures and they end up with fin rot or dropsy
WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Thanks all. I know I'm not alone & its risk I take having fish but goodness gracious it'd be nice to have everyone healthy for a while. At least with my dogs I can easily take them to the doctor.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

You love your fish. Admit it. Heck, we ALL love our fish, or we wouldn't spend so much time, effort and money trying to keep them happy and healthy.

"A betta hammock for you to sleep in? Why yes! Of course you need one..... A larger tank, a new heater..... more plants? Why yes! Of course you need them. Because you do your little wiggle dance when I feed you. Therefore, you shall have everything!"

Oh wait. Did I just type that aloud? (And don't get me started on the dogs. They're more spoiled than the fish!)

Anyway, about your sick bettas..... Good luck. I hope you figure out the cause of their issues, and get it all resolved. (I recently read a study in which they successfully used high dosages of Epsom salt to expel parasites.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-07-2013 at 10:51 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

I feel you! I've recently lost three fish. Lotus just up and died one day for no reason. Bahari had so many issues I can't even count. Mercy passed away two nights ago from dropsy. And now DaBaDee is not doing good in his old age. But don't fool yourself... You'll look at the empty tanks... Maybe take a stroll through petco/smart. You know the deal, lol. My remaining girls and new petco boy Zenvo are doing AMAZING. <3

Jexx: a girl with dropsy for two weeks?! I lost my first girl Okami to dropsy in 3 days and Mercy in only two but I've successfully treated DaBaDees pineconing in 3 days... That's crazy! I don't know how he does it. He seems to be in such bad shape, dull in color, lethargic, old, always sick with something but he's a fighter while my girls who were perfectly healthy pineconed and were doomed.

I feel like a horrible fish owner because every week it seems I'm posting SIP to yet another fish :( people probably think I have no clue what I'm doing when my fish are dropping like flies. Of course, I didn't have that issue with only 1 or 2 fish total.

It happens. I think my last two girls got stressed in the sorority environment, Bahari had bad genetics, and Okami got sick after a power outage while I was at school that caused a temp fluctuation. DaBaDees just old and hasn't been in the best conditions always :/ but I love them. Couldn't give up on them and couldn't give up the opportunity to give another fish a loving home if I had the space!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #8 
Goodbettabest

I feel your pain. I am gong through the same thing right now i have lost 3 boys in the last 3 weeks and another is on the way out. The problem is i have no idea what they are dying from. I look after them so well but they keep dying anyway while my friend keeps hers in a 1 gal bowl that gets a water change once a month if it's lucky & hers is fine. Doesn't seem fair does it. I def won't be replacing mine until this wave of death & destruction has well & truly come to an end
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #9 
registereduser

My males have been pretty healthy except for a few, strangely enough the 2 I did NOT get from Petco crashed!

However Stumpy, my awesome double tail recently passed. He was in a 30 gallon community tank. The power went out over a weekend and he was never the same after that and died within a few days after. All the other fish are perfectly fine.

As far as my sorority, it is no more. All the females and replacement females I got within the past year all died. The cories and otos in the tank are perfectly fine!

Maybe I fed them too much?

Anyway, no more females for me. Unless I decide to breed someday.

Males I will continue to collect & rescue when possible.

So I feel your pain but for now I plan to keep going except females are out.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
My males have been pretty healthy except for a few, strangely enough the 2 I did NOT get from Petco crashed!

However Stumpy, my awesome double tail recently passed. He was in a 30 gallon community tank. The power went out over a weekend and he was never the same after that and died within a few days after. All the other fish are perfectly fine.

As far as my sorority, it is no more. All the females and replacement females I got within the past year all died. The cories and otos in the tank are perfectly fine!

Maybe I fed them too much?

Anyway, no more females for me. Unless I decide to breed someday.

Males I will continue to collect & rescue when possible.

So I feel your pain but for now I plan to keep going except females are out.
Me, too! I lost Okami after a power outage. I think it was the temp fluctuation from the heaters turning off. Plus, it was only 60-65 degrees in the room they were in. She became lethargic right after the power outage, pineconed the next day and was gone in 3 :( she was my favorite.

I also lost 2 of my 6 sorority girls not long ago. I think it was stress. One randomly died and one got lethargic and pineconed but it wasn't the full blown BAD pineconing Okami had. The girl who up and died randomly, when I found her in the tank, had severely shredded fins and was missing an eye. I think she was the weakest and the other girls stressed her out. The one who pineconed seemed to avoid the other girls and got stress stripes often.

If I lose any more girls I will have to divide the 10 gallon and will probably get males if I lose all 4, but keep the tank divided in two. Stress happens easily in sororities so it probably explains why you ONLY lost the bettas.

Btw, my Nerite snail is in my sorority tank and she's still doing great :) they don't bother her at all!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote