Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #1 
bniebetta

Question Phat Feesh

Soooooo I have this girl who is really smart. When I feed the sorority, she waits in the middle instead of at the top with everyone else so she can catch EVERY piece of food that drops because of the commotion above. The problem is that I also have to make sure my giant gets enough to eat, so I can't really mess with portions especially since all the other fish are fine. But this girl is FAT! She is also extremely eggy, so she basically looks like a little sausage.... She is very active and has no trouble swimming, but I am getting worried about her. Has anyone else had an issue like this? How can I put her on a diet without having to catch her and isolate her every stinkin time I feed them?
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #2 
SKIZZ3RS

You could try hand feeding her, other than that the only thing I can think of is to isolate her. Is she just bigger or straight up bloated? I wouldn't worry to much if she seems to be doing fine.
SKIZZ3RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #3 
bniebetta

She isn't even really bloated..... Just fat!! Like her body is really thick all the way from head to tail, and her giant eggy tummy doesn't help haha. She really does seem fine, but can fish have heart attacks?? :p
Old 06-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #4 
SKIZZ3RS

It's very unlikely, but any animal with a heart may have a heart attack.

I would try to hand feed her just in case, if she seems to be having a hard time I would go to isolating her. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it to much. Cute little chub fish. XD It's either she's fat, bloated, constipated, or pregnant.
Do you have any pictures?
Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #5 
Riverotter

What do you feed? Mostly I feed dried worms, betta pellets and frozen brine shrimp. All of those are pretty easy to just put in a few at a time. My sorority I put in a couple here, a couple there, a couple over in the corner, one right to the red girl, etc. It still takes less them a minute to feed, and I know everybody got what they should.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #6 
bniebetta

Betta are actually not livebearers, so there is no possibility of her being pregnant :) I feed extremely high quality pellets alternated with frozen bloodworms, but it is more of her just eating a lotttttttt :P She isn't bloated or constipated, just really stinking fat haha
Old 06-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #7 
SKIZZ3RS

:o really? I know nothing about breeding them. You learn something new everyday. Let us know if she gets worse or you figure out a way to put her on a diet. ^^
What's the brand of pellets?
Old 06-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #8 
bniebetta

Omega One :) working on ordering some others too when I have the spare cash. On a funny and stupid note, I accidentally dropped a whole chunk of bloodworms right in front of her by accident this morning.... *headdesk*
Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #9 
SKIZZ3RS

Cool, and those work for you? I might have to think about trying them out for myself.
XD whoops, at least she's happy about it.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #10 
bniebetta

Yeah, you want to try to vary their diet as much as possible because dry-food-only CAN (but not necessarily will) lead to constipation and bloating. You always want to use a high quality pellet or flake that does not have any soy, wheat, or other fillers in the first three ingredients. Pretty much all cheap foods that you can find at walmart or that they have most readily accessible at pet stores are going to be really crappy. Tetra is a joke. You wanna go for Attison's Betta Pro, Omega One, or New Life Spectrum. You can feed them live food as well, as long as you are careful about parasites. :D You should try those