Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #1 
ShadyLex

First betta!

I just got back from Petsmart with my new betta fish!

The cup say he's a Dragonscale Crowntail. His pectoral fins are a bit edge and he likes to only move one of them but they have this lovely white edge that called out to me.

I'm so happy to finally have him home but now I'm a bit worried about his pectoral fin. Could just be that he doesn't like to move it (I noticed it has a rather deep cut in it)

Acclimating him right now. Dribbling some of the new tank water into his cup every 5 mins. Going to sit here for half an hour or more until I feel he's ready to move.
ShadyLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #2 
SKIZZ3RS

Awe, he's beautiful congrats! Does he have a name?

I would put some aquarium salt in there for the cut to prevent infections and make sure the water's warmer. c:
SKIZZ3RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #3 
ShadyLex

Thank you! I was thinking about naming him Odaviing from Skyrim, but it appears someone here already has that name.

I have some AQ salt prepared for when this happens but I don't have a hospital tank. I could find a large container that I could float in the tank but I believe they've been cleaned with soap. I re-examined him and it's a little bit halfway into the pectoral fin (not as deep as I had previously thought but still)

Should I go and get a hospital tank or is he alright for now?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #4 
ShadyLex

And he's in the tank! Wanted to take more pictures but I think I'll save that for tomorrow. For now, I'll leave him alone to get used to the new tank.

He gave me a heart attack with him moving around so much when I was putting him in the tank. Practically jumped out of the cup. At least he's okay now. He's exploring the tank and now checking out the heater I have. Bet he's liking the 80F waters too.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #5 
SKIZZ3RS

That's awesome! Too bad somebody already has that name. ;c

I think he should be fine for now, you could keep him and treat him in the tank as long as the water is kept clean and warm and you keep an eye on him.

Very happy to be out of those tiny cups. xD That's actually kind of cute, being so excited about his new home.
I'll look forward to the pictures. cx
Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #6 
fleetfish

I'm sure you could still call him Odaviing, they won't mind.

Beautiful boy!
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #7 
ShadyLex

I think I'll still call him Odaviing. It stuck and until a better name comes up, he'll be called an awesome dragon that can kick butt.

Yeah, when I started acclimating him he was looking all over. I can imagine him thinking, "This is all for me? That's for me? And that too?"

Getting him in the tank was even better. He swam around slowly to check things out. Last I checked he was sitting behind one of the pots hiding from me. It warms my heart he is in a big warm tank with plants and lots of places to hide.

Thank you fleetfish! I'm actually a little surprised that they had a coloration like him at my store. Lucky for me ^^
Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #8 
SKIZZ3RS

It suits him perfectly, lf you get another betta you should name him Alduin XD.

Awe, little spoiled boy. Just wait until he starts recognizing you and following you around your room asking you for food. My betta is just staring at me while I type.
very lucky, I'm a bit jealous!
Odahviing or Odaviing?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #9 
ShadyLex

I should! Hahaha XD

He's one spoiled kid. All that 10 gal tank for himself with no one to share. I can't wait until he starts recognizing me!

I thought he was just a metallic crowntail, but his cup lid was a different color than the other crowntails. I looked at the key near the shelves and it was the top one being a dragonscale crowntail. Costed $10 but it was well spent ^^

Ah, it's Odahviing. My bad.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #10 
javert

Awesome. 10 gal is great for him, he will be able to stretch his muscles as much as he wants.

Be sure to post photos of your tank and tell us if his pectoral fin gets better.
javert is offline   Reply With Quote