Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #1 
fishyinpa

ammonia reading still high

Well i tested Mr Fishys water and the ammonia was dark green! According to that scale thingy. So I siphoned out half his tank water,conditioned new water,checked the temp, and then slowly put it back in. I just tested it again (it was right after i filled it though,maybe that has something to do with it?) and its at 1.0. Should i let it sit awhile and test it again see if it goes down? Or should I just siphon half his tank again and put new water in? I already poured new water and condtioning it as we speak. Should I have jsut done a 100% change instead of a 50? Or can i try 25% right now again and see if that helps any. I prolly just do another 50 though...since i poured that much out...Or should i just redo the whole darned thing. This fish keeping stuff is hard! Lol. Help??
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #2 
fishyinpa

well its been a few minutes lol so im gonna go check the water again see how its doing. If its still at 1 or goes any higher Ill do another water change. And i just replugged in the filter and heater grrr...lol...oh well...
Old 12-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thats why mine are in unheated, unfiltered containers.lol. I know, I know, bad, bad, but its just too much work for me to try to maintain 5 tanks. Not enough room and too expensive, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #4 
fishyinpa

Lol. I hear ya on that. Ah well its still at 1 so i change it again. I sure hope this sucker goes down.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Also, I know very little about cycling. I'm gonna have to get Aquariums for Dummies or some kind of book so I can read up on stuff so I know what I'm talking about when I post on here. lol
Old 12-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #6 
fishyinpa

Hahaha me too. I know we should all do it,but it seems kinda...hard...lol...gets me confused easily. heh. Now i didnt pour enough water in the bucket,so i had to pour more but now its too hot. Im getting an ice cube to cool it down. Ugh. I guess I should really cycle that 2 gallon/filter so i dont have to go thru this anymore haha. Ugh. What did i get myself into? Lmao.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Like I said, bettas are really better off in a heated, filtered tank but mine are kept in an upstairs bedroom and it is quite warm up here. I need to get a thermometer to monitor the temp. I like a warm room so I know that if I'M cold, my fish probably are, too.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #8 
fishyinpa

Yeah. OH okay. Well my room gets kinda chilly. When i did finally buy a thermometer his water was like 70. Oops. so yeah heater was a definite thing. Finally got the water temp down to 80 so lets hope this works!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

My room stays around 74 or 75 or so.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #10 
fishyinpa

Well i used to keep my vent open in my room,but even at a low temp on the thermostat downstairs,say 72 it gets like a freaking sauna upstairs. So we close the vents and it stays bout 70 now. If i didnt have other pets in my room other than the fish, Id prolly keep it open. But i have my hamsters,gerbils,piggies and bunnies all in my room so they dont like it sauna like at all. Gotta keep everyone happy! Lol. I just put in his new water i gonna let it sit a lil then test it. I really hope it went down now. If not guess I just do a 100% change. Ugh. Ya know fish water doesnt taste too good. Lmao.